how to upgrade 165 turbo/ic to 2 gen turbo/205ic ** UPDATED*

Nitro_Alltrac

Quick question. How or what did you use to stretch the 165 adapter to fit the 205 IC outlet? I got the 165 adapter but it will almost fit inside the outlet on the IC. There's like a quarter inch difference or so. Looks like too muct to stretch.

mx6er2587

grab a friend (or two) and two or three flat head screw drivers. Have one person hold the inter cooler in place (you could also potentially clamp it to a work bench) then have the other person(s) pry the coupler open and get it slid on. It takes some effort, but the 165 rubber is very thin and stretchy.

For the record it is a quarter inch difference I believe. 185=2", 165=2.25", and 205=2.5"

Did you get a new 165 coupler from toyota or a used one? Its probably best to have a new one so that the rubber is as fresh and stretchy as possible.

By the time your done the coupler looks less then happy but its held fine and I see no signs of fatigue on it yet and its been there over a year on mine.

Do you have your turbo to intercooler inlet figured out yet? That was really the hard part for me

saved_1992

yes i used a new one, i also put the coupler in boiling water (30 sec.) to help soften the rubber. wear some gloves will be very hot, i used 1 butter knife to help me install. also sprayed some silicone lube on the parts.

88st165

The turbo setup has still been working great for me. The 205 intercooler is where I have trouble. When I mocked it up using the stock 165 tb inlet the inlet to the intercooler was over two inches off. Even when I cut it short it was still off where I couldn't get a straight or 45 hose to work. I have the core with me in the shop and I think I'm just going to make modifications to the inlet so it will be closer to working.

alvinsw20

Hey man I just wanted to say THANKS for the write up, I'm putting a 1st gen st165 into my MR2 right now and its been a huge headache since I'm the first to do so and this is helping tons i just hope my exhaust piping all stays the same and i don't have to fab a longer b-pipe in the exhaust.

But, in case I need custom oil return lines or decide to upgrade how long should I get? I know a local shop I can get it from.

GT4_Vinnie

Hey guys,

Im doing this upgrade (St185 twin entry system and ct-26) to my St165.
Reason for doing this, needed a new turbo, got a 185 turbo and exhaust housing, then got down pipe and manifold, rather then runing a gutted cat. Thought more long term for if i wanna go to a ct-27

Just curious as to if I was to only replace the manifold, turbo, downpipe ect, using adequate spacers etc to make it fit properly, would i need to upgrade the intercooler or not, just wanting to know if upgrading to the 205ic is neccesary, or could i just upgrade the exhaust, and still run the stock st165 Ic with no problems.

Basically wanting to know the benefits of running the 205 ic, and if I need to or not.

Thanks
Vinnie

saved_1992

i would think the stock ic would work fine, when you upgrade to a ct27 i would upgrade the ic to a 205 ic or a 185rc ic but the stock also would work but just not as effective.

put up some pics of your project

GT4_Vinnie

Cheers for the quick response.

I'm glad you said that as was going to wait till i upgrade to ct-27 to run 205 ic, more things to purchase, less demand over here in NZ.
My projects not much at the mo, just really stock, but ill take some pics anyway.

=)
Vinnie

Ant1

Did anyone have to cut the brackets on the inside of the bonnet to get the ST205 intercooler to fit with the bonnet closed?

Ant1

It's been done on my ST165, and the car doesn't boost at all, goes straight to fuel cut. Think it is because the turbo has been clocked the wastegate arm isn't long enough.