Switch to full style
Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.
Post a reply

Re: [How to] Pull the engine

Thu May 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Pulled mine out top and back in top , didnt pull my brothers but his went in the top too ...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Fri May 20, 2011 1:27 am

alltracst185 wrote:You can, it's just harder and more of a risk

I'll probably just drop mine out the bottom then. thanks

Just goes to show ya the factory manual doesn't always tell you the best way :roll:

Wed May 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Even the techs at Toyota dealerships usually drop it out the bottom.

Wed May 25, 2011 11:12 pm

DudeMan wrote:Even the techs at Toyota dealerships usually drop it out the bottom.

I think what makes the biggest difference is whether we have a lift to work on or not. Hands down easier to go bottom and yes most front drives we drop out the bottom these days ... way to compact :crazy:
Last edited by 88gt4DE on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm pulling the engine/trans from my ST185 to install a new clutch + timing belt/pumps/seals. Step 24 in the BGB says to disconnect the "Noise Filter Connector" What is it and where is it located?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 pm

zblu81 wrote:I'm pulling the engine/trans from my ST185 to install a new clutch + timing belt/pumps/seals. Step 24 in the BGB says to disconnect the "Noise Filter Connector" What is it and where is it located?

What's the surrounding context? Removing the intake?

Also sounds electrical.

Bryan

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 am

it is the in the same step as the main wiring harness being removed from the firewall.

***edit: I think. I figured it out. The engine room wiring harness is actually the end of the harness with the afm clip and diagnostic port on it. It also clips onto a little silver box that I believe is the noise filter. The ecu wire harness comes out a few steps later - thanks for the help guys
Last edited by zblu81 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 am

zblu81 wrote:I'm pulling the engine/trans from my ST185 to install a new clutch + timing belt/pumps/seals. Step 24 in the BGB says to disconnect the "Noise Filter Connector" What is it and where is it located?

Yes im looking at it now, Page 115 EM-77
BGB PAGE 115.jpg

I'll let someone else fill in the blanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Damn where was this topic when I was pulling off my tranny! I had to lift my car which was hard cause I was using a 2ton jack with no hoist at one point. I dropped my engine through the bottom of the car which was easy but as soon as it came down to removing the tranny and installing, now that was the hard part! " if I had a swear jar it would be filled on that day" this was the first time I've ever removed and install a engine/tranny which was a great experience to learn my way around these cars.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:05 am

I have pulled the engine out of my gt-four 2 times now.I pulled my engine out through the top both times with no trouble at all,the key to doing it is having an engine leveler and of course the engine hoist.Figured id post a couple pictures of the last engine removal.Notice the angle you got to have the engine on in order to remove it.I've never tried dropping the motor down through the bottom so I can't say what way is easier, but I can say this way went very smooth and I will continue doing it this way...Hopefully not for awhile anyway hahah.Lets face it either way is probably a pain an the ass, just one of the many joys of working on these cars 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Random bump if people want to add anymore info. I will be taking this on soon and will contribute if anything I come across is missed here.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Just have to decide to go out top or bottom ... different for each direction ...

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 pm

You guys should really quit screwing around and take it out the side.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 pm

underscore wrote:You guys should really quit screwing around and take it out the side.

:rofl: nice 8)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:35 am

So, on a ST165 do you need to disconnect the hubs/struts to remove the cv axles or is it possible to remove the axles without disconnecting the hub area?
Post a reply