Switch to full style
Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.
Post a reply

Re: [How to] Pull the engine

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 pm

UtahSleeper wrote:So, on a ST165 do you need to disconnect the hubs/struts to remove the cv axles or is it possible to remove the axles without disconnecting the hub area?

You will have to un bolt the ball joints and pull the suspension around. FYI if you plan to move the car around put the axle back in through the rotor and put the nut back on or the wheel bearings will come apart. Or if you have some old axle outer parts laying around throw those in there ....
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for the input. I decided to start disconnecting the suspension part anyway.

On to my next concern, are the CV axles suppose to slide out of the transfer case/transmission? Or do you have to beat the axles out of them? I thought I had read somewhere you really didn't want to undo the bolts holding the axle to the hub at the trans.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 pm

The axles don´t just ¨slide out¨ but they will pop out with a little effort. I seem to remember putting a little force on one side with a pry bar (11 o´clock) and then hitting the other side (5 o´clock) with a dead-blow hammer. It didn´t take a lot of effort to get them to pop out.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:47 am

UtahSleeper wrote:Thanks for the input. I decided to start disconnecting the suspension part anyway.

On to my next concern, are the CV axles suppose to slide out of the transfer case/transmission? Or do you have to beat the axles out of them? I thought I had read somewhere you really didn't want to undo the bolts holding the axle to the hub at the trans.

Never heard of anything about not unbolting at the hub. (In fact, you might not get enough clearance if you only undo the transmission side.) You will need a new cotter pin and maybe a nut. The axles will come out of the transmission after some force. I usually tap against a lip on the inner end(whatever is suitable). Use a hammer and a punch. You might also have to punch them out of the hub side.

(If you undo the axle nut) Impact tools make this unnecessary, but stick a big screwdriver in one of the rotor vents so it jams against the caliper. Then you can undo the nut without having to put the wheel back on, put it on the ground, etc. Just make sure to use a beefy screwdriver.

Goodluck!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 am

Where ever you read that you can't unbolt the axle bolts, disregard it. I have done multiple motors successfully, all of them I have left my axle stubs in the trans. I've also never had my wheel bearing "come apart" with the axles out. These cars are not made of glass, Toyota and rally racing has given them a high threshold of tolerance.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 am

The wheel bearings do open up without the axles bolted in.
They dont "fall out", but it will cause your hubs & wheels to move around, and it will chew out the bearings if you push the car around too much with them like that.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:52 am

flyingdutchman wrote:(If you undo the axle nut) Impact tools make this unnecessary, but stick a big screwdriver in one of the rotor vents so it jams against the caliper. Then you can undo the nut without having to put the wheel back on, put it on the ground, etc. Just make sure to use a beefy screwdriver.

Goodluck!

That's a good idea, I always just jammed an extra breaker bar between the wheel studs and the ground.
Post a reply