[How to] Shimless bucket/lifter conversion

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Re: [How to] Shimless bucket/lifter conversion

Postby Corey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:46 pm

TomsGT4 wrote:
RWDragoon wrote:Something I find odd is when adjusting my shimless set I have found a marked 37 (in fact my engine has 3) yet I cant buy them from toyota?? I have a few friends that work there and they tell me that the part must exist, but numbers will be different. For example they say that when a new toyota comes from the factory they have a different part number on the oil filter then you can actually purchase.

That's kind of cool. I bet you could have found those numbers in Japan back in 1990.

Hey Corey, what's going on with your set?

Interested to know how things went?

Hey, sorry I suppose this is 5 years late. The shimless buckets I installed are still going strong. Roughly 60K km on them now with quite a few redline pulls. No valve ticking yet.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Shaggz00 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 am

Yo!
I'm glad to see the writeup is still helping people all these years later :) I haven't been on alltrac.net in a long time, but I came back to reference part #'s for my MK3 Supra. FYI, the lifters in the 7MGTE and the 3SGTE are the same size :D

Also, I'm hating the fact the 7M is 24 valves... this is taking forever! haha.
-Avi-
'88 ST-165(Black) - Sitting... Waiting... Quietly... in the garage under 2 inches of dust...
'88 ST-165(grey) - gone to rusty Celica heaven
'91 MKIII Supra - 98% completion!
Shaggz00
Gold Member

Postby abraxxa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 am

My tuner has argumented against the shimless conversion because it makes adjusting the clearance much harder because you have to order new buckets instead of grinding down the shim.
The 35% weight saving on the bucket is much less if you calculate it on the whole valve train.
So my Gen 4 will keep the shim under bucket system.
facelift ST205
abraxxa
Club Member

Postby Shaggz00 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 pm

abraxxa wrote:My tuner has argumented against the shimless conversion because it makes adjusting the clearance much harder because you have to order new buckets instead of grinding down the shim.

It's up to him I guess, but that's the reason that so much time is spent measuring, so that you do the job once, and you're done. While he says it's harder to do the job, I say he's being lazy. It takes a little time, yes, but if you want the upgrade, it's what you need to do.The second part of that comment I don't understand, because who "grinds" down a shim? I HAVE heard of grinding the valve to adjust clearance, but that seems more difficult than installing a different size shim. I don't know the guy, so I don't mean to offend, but I would tend to think that he is not very familiar with the 3sgte. If you need a different shim size, you order it. They range from $5-$10US depending on the size.

abraxxa wrote:The 35% weight saving on the bucket is much less if you calculate it on the whole valve train.

I don't understand, could you please elaborate, or show calculations? I think if you reduce the lifter weight by 35%, that's exactly what you get :shrug: I am always looking to learn new things, so if you could go through the calculations I would appreciate it.

abraxxa wrote:So my Gen 4 will keep the shim under bucket system.

I think the point of the conversion might have been missed, and maybe I should have pointed it out at the beginning of the how-to. I think converting to shimless lifters on a shim-under-bucket system IS kind of pointless, seeing as how there is no possibility of spitting out a shim as there is on the gen 1 and 2 (see my crappy drawing at the beginning of the how-to). The only reason to do so, would be weight savings, but I don't know enough about the engineering of a motor to even pretend to understand how that would affect overall performance.
-Avi-
'88 ST-165(Black) - Sitting... Waiting... Quietly... in the garage under 2 inches of dust...
'88 ST-165(grey) - gone to rusty Celica heaven
'91 MKIII Supra - 98% completion!
Shaggz00
Gold Member

Postby Smaay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:23 pm

i have done this conversion on my all-Trac and on my supra. its expensive but worth it for peace of mind. The buckets are also 30% lighter than the stock bucket and shim. This allows for higher red line.
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
90 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
97 Supra 2JZ-GTE
97 Celica GT 3MZ/1MZ hybrid
Smaay
Club Member

Previous

Return to How To