How to remove air resonator box

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

How to remove air resonator box

Postby BriinumsBo » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 am

Any links/guides to this? with pictures? I have ST185. what need to be removed to get to the resonator box? battery? bumper? the whole left fender?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby turbo4wd » Wed May 28, 2008 12:16 pm

You have to remove the driver's-front fender liner to access the resonator. So you'll have to put the car up on a jack and remove the tire as well.

After that its pretty much self-explanatory - just start unscrewing everything.
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby BriinumsBo » Wed May 28, 2008 12:28 pm

what do you mean by "fender liner" ? the big round plastic in wheel well?
so removing battery or bumper will do nothing for me, right? I hope it wont take more than an hour... i`ll try to take some pics, maybe even videos to compare the sound :D
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby turbo4wd » Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 pm

BriinumsBo wrote:what do you mean by "fender liner" ? the big round plastic in wheel well?

yup - pull the wheel off, and unscrew the 5-6 screws that hold the fender liner aka big plastic in wheel well and you'll see the resonator there. you don't have to remove the bumper, fender, battery box..
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby BriinumsBo » Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 am

ok, got it done. took me about two hours or even more :twisted:
i actually DID remove the battery, to uncsrew one bolt that was holding a clamp that holds the resonator. after that the resonator came off easy.
the biggest problem was the bolt that attached the fender liner to the very front of the car. took me some 20mins to get it unbolted, damn rusty and hard to reach :/
took some pics and 2 videos, will post up later, no card reader here...
the sound, well i`m not sure if its changed. no power increase i guess also (and i dont see a reason why it would). but there are options which may change this - the hole that the resonator was attached to - i blocked it off with a bottom of plastic bottle, tightened with screws.
maybe i should have left that hole open?
1. would lead to prety much vacuum in that place where the resonator was and get a lot of dust in there? or not?
2. would that big chamber make more noise (since the sound is closer than the opening behind headlight) or act like a resonator and make it quiter?
3. since the room for resonator is not sealed tight, the open hole could bring more air to filter, so more low down power?
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby etantshi » Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Only thing it really does is remove about 2 lbs of weight from the front axels.
-----
André B.
1991 ST185 (down but not out)
1990 ST185 (lost, but not forgotten)
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
2004 Yamaha R6 (needs a battery)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby BriinumsBo » Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 pm

etantshi wrote:Only thing it really does is remove about 2 lbs of weight from the front axels.

2lbs? you`re way too optimistic :D if you include the bolts, then its closer :D

all pics here: http://www.celicaclub.eu/gallery2/v/member-photos/Bo/repair_tuning/resonator-removal/
Last edited by BriinumsBo on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby BriinumsBo » Fri May 30, 2008 8:21 am

while we`re here, it`s good to think about battery relocation like jonstew`s:

this is just wonderful idea, no wiring to hatch area and stuff.. BUT, relocationg to hatch makes a 30-40lbs difference in car weight distribution :/ when jacking the car up, i`ve never managed to get the front get up faster than rear, its so much heavier :doh:
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby st185rc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 pm

sorry for bringing back an old thread but how many bolts actually hold the resonator. the one that the bottom with the rubber grommet was the hardest for me and i removed the bolt under the battery, but still can't get this thing off. any help would be appreciated. i couldn't get to the link provided on the first page for pics either :(
st185rc
Club Member

Re: How to remove air resonator box

Postby Brad_91 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Bump! I will be doing this next year once I take my car out from hibernation :D.
I will most likely move the battery as well, so I'm keeping this for reference as well as a few other threads.
Thanks for the pictures and walk-through!

Brad
Brad
1992 Celica GT-Four
~65'000km,
Mods: Turbo-back 3" Exhaust, 17x8 Versus Turismo Rims, Black Rally Armor Mud Flaps, turbo timer, manual boost controller, Whiteline rear swaybar!
Brad_91
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby lumbercis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:52 pm

There's no reason to move the battery on a street car unless your goal is to introduce hacky unreliable wiring into your electrical system.. :nono:
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby Brad_91 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:37 pm

not even to fit one bad-ass aftermarket filter?! haha I have no real reason to other than that, although I hear it also helps with the weight distribution since our cars our front heavy (obviously not that significant but still)
Brad
1992 Celica GT-Four
~65'000km,
Mods: Turbo-back 3" Exhaust, 17x8 Versus Turismo Rims, Black Rally Armor Mud Flaps, turbo timer, manual boost controller, Whiteline rear swaybar!
Brad_91
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Return to How To