Power Steering Pump & Hose Repair

not12listen

ok. finally had a chance to put the pump and hoses back together... i used Gorilla Glue on every washer, each thread and on the low pressure hose fitment (into the pump) too.

tomorrow i will install it, then wait a few hours before filling it and testing it.

i'd be shocked if these ever leaked again...

i've circled the portions that i applied the Gorilla Glue too. again, each surface was cleaned with a paper towel, then the Gorilla Glue was applied. the main banjo bolt (high pressure side) and the hose clamp (low pressure side) were both torque down afterwards too. so, the glue will fill in all the cracks and seal them up solid.

20150725_014644_zpscsbyjmnj.jpg

20150725_014635_zpsgyradkhz.jpg

of course, i won't know the results until a few days/weeks have gone by. but, again, i'm doubtful that anything would leak at this point...

not12listen

Rick89GTS":129v4lsy said:
That ain't never gonna leak with that glue!
I used some teflon tape

that was the idea. :p

honestly, on the alltrac, the power steering pump is one of the worst jobs to do... so, as i never want to do it again, i took those extra steps to help ensure that i never have to do it again. :)

i used Gorilla Glue on my oil bypass kit on my 3SGE AW11 - it has not leaked at all, and when the heat comparison comes up, and that engine bay (aw11) sees a lot more heat in that area vs the power steering pump of my wife's alltrac camry.

suffice to say, engine oil gets a lot hotter than power steering fluid. power steering fluid sees a lot more pressure though.

88gt4DE

If you think the steering pump is bad ( which it is ) Wait till you get to do a rack and pinion ...

not12listen

i've already replaced the inner and outer tie rods some time ago... but, i know that isn't the rack itself.

if the rack is anything like the aw11 one, then i've already dealt with it and it wasn't the worst thing ever. :p

88gt4DE

I never did one of those ... i started to do my rack bushings and quit half way threw. Then when motor had to come back out just replaced it all then. It had been wet on the one side for years ...

not12listen

oh wow! screw that!

yeah, there is a subframe on the bottom of the aw11 (2 bolts, 2 nuts), then 4 bolts to remove the steering rack itself. it'd take 1 hour if you went slowly.

removing the front wheels does help, of course. :)

88gt4DE

Basically its the area behind the trans that makes it bad. If i had to do it in the car again I would drop the motor mounts on the drivers side and try it that way ..... shifter cables also are an asshole.

not12listen

i got rid of the factory shifting bushings long ago... there are now spherical bearings in their place. removing them is easy. :)

still, sounds like a pain in the ass.

88gt4DE

not12listen":1un8ibwt said:
i got rid of the factory shifting bushings long ago... there are now spherical bearings in their place. removing them is easy. :)

still, sounds like a pain in the ass.

Yes bushings in cable ends easy ... cables themself are a dick and you cant get them anymore. We have to have one made out in Cali ...

not12listen

so, it has been a little bit of time.

with all the little steps that i've taken (new braided steel hose and using Gorilla Glue everything possible), there have been zero leaks. for obvious reasons, the glue is showing zero signs of letting loose or allowing ANYTHING past... :p

but, the grain of salt... the previous hose began leaking after months of operation - not just a few weeks.

i have ZERO doubts that the glue will hold a perfect seal pretty much forever - this is the bonding agent used on the oil pan of my 3SGE AW11. and, the oil pan gets a bit hotter than the power steering setup.