Power Steering Pump & Hose Repair

Rick89GTS

Since it's such a common problem, here's my collection of three Power Steering Pump articles for the 4th Gen ST16X series (ST18X is similar).
Enjoy :smokes:

1) PS Pump & Hose Removal (from the BGB):

Note: Don't worry about the SST (below). A monkey wrench, regular crescent wrench or best of all, 17mm flare nut wrench work just as well.
ps001.jpg

ps002.jpg

ps003.jpg

ps004.jpg

ps005.jpg

ps006.jpg

ps007.jpg

ps008.jpg

ps009.jpg

*Note:
You may find it easier to remove/loosen the top bolt first because the bottom bolt will support the pump, keeping the weight and tension off the top bolt.

A socket doesn't fit properly into that restrictive area where the PS pump top bolt lives; no clearance. I find it easier with obstruction wrenches, (like "S" or "C" shaped ones), offset box, crow's foot and/or Gear or ratcheting flex-head wrenches.
A basic open-ended wrench works just as well too.
14x152.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

183.jpg

2) Tensioning the PS Belt:
I've always found it difficult to get enough tension on the PS belt in that cramped space.
Try this trick: wedge the wide flat part of a screwdriver or prybar into the slot of lower mounting bracket. Apply leverage by pushing the handle towards the front of the car and the blade against the PS pump body. Tighten the bolt and you're done.
PSPumpbackside.jpg

3) Custom Built PS hose:
Here's a tip that's not very hard to do and will save you $$ when repairing the Power Steering High Pressure Hose.

I used a grinder and Dremel tool to remove the old crimps from my leaky OEM PS high pressure hose but retained the factory OEM fittings. Took me a little over an hour or so. Work carefully and try not to cut or grind into the original fittings. I nicked mine a few times but it was still OK.

Took it to my friendly neighbourhood hydraulic hose shop. They crimped on new ferrules and a higher-than-spec, wire-reinforced hose for only $14, taxes in. Sure beats paying $80 for a jobber hose or $150+ for a weak, non-reinforced Toyota OEM hose. :wink:

0120.jpg

0121.jpg

Here's how the fittings look disassembled below:
PSHosediassembly3.jpg

PSHosecomponents3.jpg

The hose is double-wire braid reinforced, rated @ 4800 psi.
double-wirebraid.jpg

Funny, the shop guy realized after he made it that it was a bit of over engineering, but it'll never leak again :D
Previously, I've also used the single-wire hose that was rated @ 2600 psi - more than adequate and what I'd recommend because it has a bit more flex.
single-wirebraid.jpg

End.

Rick89GTS

^
Yeah, 4800 psi is overkill.
I'm not sure exactly how much pressure is produced in the power steering system. I asked the hose shop guy and he assured me that the single-braid wire hose (rated @ 2600 psi & SAE approved) is definitely higher rated than stock. I'd go with 2600 psi, it's more than adequate.

Rick89GTS

gt4tified":2f9dwv3i said:
Did you replace the bit of hardline that goes into the steering rack with hose as well?
No, this high pressure hose runs from the top of the PS pump to the hardline fitting at the top passenger corner of the chassis. It's the 17mm nut attachment.

Rick89GTS

I'm wondering if the single-braid steel hose will work for custom brake lines as well? Any thoughts?

Update: Found out that my shop now also does custom brake lines :)
I'll post up if I use that service.

88st165

i know i said this before but the regular 4th gen hose will work. it was about $25 at my local autozone and it has a lifetime warranty. just another option for those who dont have a hydraulic shop near by. i used them on both my red and white 165.

Hotrodhendrix

88st165":33m9f938 said:
i know i said this before but the regular 4th gen hose will work. it was about $25 at my local autozone and it has a lifetime warranty. just another option for those who dont have a hydraulic shop near by. i used them on both my red and white 165.

Do you know if it will work on the st185?

88st165

Hotrodhendrix":1z848syc said:
88st165":1z848syc said:

Do you know if it will work on the st185?

not sure about the 185, if you have yours off just compare it to the one the store has. as for the 165 i did that and they were identical so i went with it.

Hotrodhendrix

I should have done that. I have power steering fluid leaking but not sure where its leaking from. I figure I can just start replacing stuff until it stops. Its kinda hard to track down when I have a large oil leak from the valve cover gasket and tranny leak somewhere. :twisted:

Rick89GTS

88st165":8ey4snc5 said:

Good info to know. How do you guys get it for only $25?! In my area, a 162/165 PS hose was about $80 last time I checked.

Lifetime warranty is great but I don't ever want to change another PS hose again (I've already done 3).

___Scott___

Rick89GTS":1460fzcl said:
How do you guys get it for only $25?! In my area, a 162/165 PS hose was about $80 last time I checked.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the NA models used the same hose. I seem to remember paying $35USD at my local AutoZone for one.

I also tried the local hydraulic shop approach. The hose end blew off about 100 miles after I put the engine back in. Replacing that hose with the engine in is probably the worst job I've had to do on my 165.

I had the hydraulic shop rework the hose, but I didn't want to take a chance on it again and bought the hose from AZ instead. If anyone wants the one I had built, make me an offer.

Rick89GTS

^Scott, sounds like you had some bad luck on the hose. Odd that it blew off like that, must've been a defective fitting or crappy crimp job. Sorry to hear that man.

You can't get a PS hose for $25 up here. In Canada, they always rip us off by jacking up the prices b/c of the smaller marketplace. And they nail us for more sales taxes too. It sucks.

Anyways, I've never had a problem with any of the 3 hoses that I've had custom made. I use the best shop in town and it still cost only CAD$13. I bought a 4th used custom PS hose off Danny aka "allblackalltrac" and it's been fine also. I've changed the PS pump so often now that I'm fairly quick. Still hate it though :wink:

Rick89GTS

^Dan, I suppose so, but I don't think it'd be worth it after postage back & forth, hose and labour charge, etc.

Any local hydraulic hose shop can crimp the hose onto your OEM end fittings. And since you're in the USA, you should be able to get the regular ST162 hi-pressure line for only $35 - way cheaper than us here in Canada. But, if your're in a jam, PM me and we'll work it out.

LegacyofDan

nah i was just more asking out of curiosity, thank you though :)

plus i dont know of any local shops that would do that but i def know of a few 162 laying around collecting dust

txironhead

If you're looking to dress up your engine bay as well, I know that a few of the local hydraulic shops around here can custom make braided stainless steel lines with crimped fittings as well. Clean up the factory fittings and shoot them with some rattle-can clear (or color of choice) and it would still come out much cheaper than factory. And it's not that much more than the steel hose mentioned.