Speedometer Cable

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Speedometer Cable

Postby all4boost » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:08 am

Has any body done a speedometer cable for a st165 all trac. If so, is it hard and what do I have to take off. Thank you :cry: :doh:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
all4boost
Club Member

Postby aubeone » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:21 pm

I had to swap the ends of my speedo cable on my 165 to math-up with the 185 transmission. It's very easy, most of the diffculty comes in the form of reaching the cable mounted to the transmission from the top...

With a small pair of channel-locks, follow the cable from the firewall to the top of the trans where you'll fine a ridged collar securing the cable to the trans housing. Loosen that collare, and you should be able to unscrew it and remove it by hand. The other end is clipped to the back of your gauge cluster. Again, the only difficult part is getting at it. Once it's unclipped and unscrewed from both ends, it's simply a matter of pulling it through the rubber grommet in the firewall, and replacing.

Out of curiousity...why are you replacing the cable?
Parting Out an 88 ST165
Parts Available:
JDM Gen2 3SGTE w/ converted harness and Gen2 ECU
New suspension and brakes
Full Black Leather Interior (both front seats with pwr lumbar)

Contact for details.
aubeone
Club Member

Postby all4boost » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:53 pm

I fixed my speedometer problem. Unfortunately the previous owner did not know that the plastic gear inside the tranny was broken. I got a new one for 30 bucks from my freindly toyota dealer brand spankin new. what a relieve. Now I can start speeding. All my Cables were not broken at all :D :shoots: :smokes:
all4boost
Club Member

Return to How To