Speedometer Cable

all4boost

Has any body done a speedometer cable for a st165 all trac. If so, is it hard and what do I have to take off. Thank you :cry: :doh:

aubeone

I had to swap the ends of my speedo cable on my 165 to math-up with the 185 transmission. It's very easy, most of the diffculty comes in the form of reaching the cable mounted to the transmission from the top...

With a small pair of channel-locks, follow the cable from the firewall to the top of the trans where you'll fine a ridged collar securing the cable to the trans housing. Loosen that collare, and you should be able to unscrew it and remove it by hand. The other end is clipped to the back of your gauge cluster. Again, the only difficult part is getting at it. Once it's unclipped and unscrewed from both ends, it's simply a matter of pulling it through the rubber grommet in the firewall, and replacing.

Out of curiousity...why are you replacing the cable?

all4boost

I fixed my speedometer problem. Unfortunately the previous owner did not know that the plastic gear inside the tranny was broken. I got a new one for 30 bucks from my freindly toyota dealer brand spankin new. what a relieve. Now I can start speeding. All my Cables were not broken at all :D :shoots: :smokes: