[How to] Fit GTS Shift cables to your alltrac

bloodMoney

Seeing as how alltrac cables are becoming few and far between, I've decided to share with you the modifications for fitting GTS cables to your alltrac.

I got this idea because I was having a hard time swallowing the $400 price tag for the two cables and I have a 92 GTS parts car sitting in the pole barn, so here we go....

This being said, I am NOT responsible for damage that occurs due to improper modification.

First, you'll need a set of GTS cables (Sorry I don't have pics of the cables) but here is the important portion of the stock alltrac cable.

5.jpg

For the GTS cables, the circled portion extends all the way down to the black line.

5-1.jpg

The materials needed for this are as follows:

~24" bolt cutter
~2 pairs of medium sized vice grips (table vice may work as well)
~A straight file
~2 big washers

How big? This big... (I'll get exact measurements at a later date)

3.jpg

1.jpg

Now, Take your bolt cutters and cut a piece out of the washer as shown below.

6.jpg

Be careful not to cut too much off of the washer as it will be less effective as a spacer!

Next, take your vice grips pull the open end of the washer apart so that it will JUST fit over red circled portion from the 2nd pic. The result should look like this.

7.jpg

From here, you'll want to vertically bend the washer so that it's bowed out evenly on both sides of the open end.

8.jpg

Make sure that your new spacer isn't too wide that it goes over the larger portion of the cable.

9.jpg

After this is done, test fit the washer (on the cable) to the trans bracket and adjust your vertical bend so that the horseshoe clip must be tapped in with a long screwdriver and a hammer. WARNING: If the horseshoe clip slides in too easily, you will lose the washer and possibly the clip. Once this happens, you will grind gears or worse, lose them until the problem is fixed.

Finally, here's a comparison shot of what you started with against what you should have after this little project is done. (est. time ~30 mins)

10.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

~bloodMoney