Is it possible?

Tarmac_St165

I need to drop my transmission to change out my flywheel. (Some teeth are broken it doesnt start sometimes.) I want to just drop the trans, not sure if this is possible I have looked around but only found talk of people dropping everything threw the bottom. Is this possible?

paladek

Hey,

short answer.....No, that's not possible......
You have to take the whole thing (engine+tranny...) out.....

regards

deecee

The BGB explains how to drop the transmission out without taking the engine out. This is what they did to repair my gearbox a couple of years back.
To only drop the transmission is around 8 - 10 hours or so. The ideal way is to drop the engine and gearbox together as it saves a couple of hours and a lot of fiddling around.

Tarmac_St165

Hmmm thanks. I think ill wait to do this till I have money for lightweight flywheel new clutch and such things. I dont think I will want to do this too many times lol.

paladek

Hey DeeCee,

Can you please point me to the BGB section where it explains how to replace the clutch (for example...) without taking to whole thing, engine and tranny out of the car....that would be an interesting reading for me....?????

regards,

deecee

just searched through the st185 and st205 bgb's and couldn't find it. I must have been mistaken. Maybe it was from what the mechanics told me.
It was something like - take out bottom undertrays (and whatever else i guess lol), take off dump and mid pipe, remove prop shaft, remove transfer case mount, loosen gearbox mounts, loosen and remove gearbox/engine bolts, remove engine mount, tip to the side and take off box/diff/transfer. I'm not sure how they did it exactly, but they did manage to do it all while leaving the engine in the car. Probably helped that they had a car hoist and lots of heavy duty stands that could take the weight of the engine being tipped and moved around lol.

Shaggz00

it is 100% possible to remove the trans by itself, we've done it numerous times. This past time, which was about a month ago, we went from 100% assembled, to out, in an hour and 45 mins. BUT, we have a lift and trans jacks. Basically, you hang the engine off the timing belt side engine mount (it can suppot the weight, I assure you). If it's something you wanna try, then PM me, and I'll write you a step by step.

Rpz123isme

I can see it being dropped in an hour and 45 mins. but how long to put it back in. when i did my first alltrac clutch i dropped just the trans, when it came to putting it back i spent an entire day trying befor i decided to just drop the motor and it was still a bitch to line it back up.

Tarmac_St165

If and when I do decide to tackle this it will be in my garage with no lift just jacks and stands. I guess my car is going to keep its starting problem for now. Pm'd about the step by step for future use.

deecee

if in the garage, drop the whole lot onto a dolly and wheel out from underneath. It will save a pile of cursing and time in the long run.

banshee 101

like most people have said, it is possible to drop just the tranny but also a pain in the ass, i have done this twice.
i suggest like most other people do, drop the whole engine

SleepingTurbo

ummm ive done it. dropped just the trans. its not the easiest thing in the world but it is possible. took me about 4hours with some help, a lift and a trans jack.

AvivB

I'm not sure how complex it is in the AWD models, but in my FWD model I've replaced the clutch in less than 2 hours (with the help of a very good mechanic)...