How to install a catch can

st165-alltrac

I'm have issues with oil in my turbo/tmic and am thinking of installing a catch can to help. Can any one explain how this is done or have any pictures of it?

the converted

For what you are describing, I don't think that a catch can will really help out that much. They are designed to collect blow-by from the pcv system, but what you are describing sounds like leaking oil seals in the turbo itself. Doing a rebuild will probably get you all straightened out.

alltracst185

There are two hoses that need to go to it, first you take the one from the valve cover and run it to the catch can, then run a second hose from the other catch can port to the intake. Remember to keep the catch can lower than the crank case vent line so blow by will go into the catch can.

Here is a pic of my engine bay (st185) in the works but shows a good visual of how to run a catch can.

catchcan.jpg

st165-alltrac

Yeah I was thinkin of gettin a ct26 from somebody? How can I check it to make sure the turbo isn't a POS. I know I need to check for cracks but what else should look for or check?

BTW alltracst185 I want your engine!

alltracst185

Check for shaft play and marks caused by the turbine wheel rubbing the housing.

Thanks, I have been building my trac for two and a half years now and she is just about done :D

Xiansheng

st165-alltrac":1ktrkyto said:
BTW alltracst185 I want your engine!
You can say that again!

Thanks for pic man! I also wanna setup a catch can, before I NEED to setup a catch can. :wink:
(one of the things on my list anyway... lol ..'THE LIST' :twisted: )

DudeMan

I know this is off topic but why do you still have the ABS relays if the rest of it is gone?

Its the little unit with two electrical plugs right under the power steering reservoir.

Back on topic, you can use an air compressor filter as a DIY catch can if money is low..

jonnyboygt4

ebay has catch can kits that come with everything you need for about 30 bucks or cheaper...in the alltrac world it dont get any cheaper than that!

like dudeman said...you can use a air compressor water/oil seperator but it'll still cost you 20 bucks at home depot versus a nicesly made catch can on ebay...i bought one off ebay and it worked well and was made well too...

alltracst185

DudeMan":288zm3cw said:
I know this is off topic but why do you still have the ABS relays if the rest of it is gone?

Its the little unit with two electrical plugs right under the power steering reservoir.

Back on topic, you can use an air compressor filter as a DIY catch can if money is low..
Didn't know what they were at first (old pic), they are gone now :wink: