[How To] Restore Leather Seats $120

Hotrodhendrix

I decided to give this a try after many hours of research on the matter. My budget build didn't include $500 to $1000+ for new leather so here is my fix for the problem at hand. Total price came to just under $120 shipped for everything.

This supplies came from http://www.leatherworldtech.com/
Color prep spray (Leatherworld)
Black dye (Leatherworld)
Leather protect (Leatherworld)
Sponge (Leatherworld)
Lint free rags (Leatherworld)
Scuff pad (Leatherworld)
Permatex Leather repair kit (Oreillys)
Pre bent needles (walmart)
Heavy duty string (walmart)
Leather brush (walmart)

Hairdryer
Screw drivers
14mm and 12mm sockets

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0390.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

This is what I started with. The leather was in fairly good shape for being 20 years old
Drivers seat had a stain which I couldn’t remove for the life of me with cleaners, cracks in the bolster and a seam coming apart.
IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

Passenger seat was in better shape and only had minimal cracking
IMAG0294.jpg

Rear seats were the worst off. The drivers side rear had 4 rips in the leather and both were very brittle up top.
IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

So of course to start off you have to remove the seats. The seats are held down by 4 bolts 14mm covered by slips which can be removed with a screw driver. On the drivers seat you will need to remove the hatch and gas lid unit held in by two screws. Make sure to unplug the power drivers seat
IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

Rears will need to be laid forward. Pull the carpet flap up and you will notice two bolts in the center and one on the outside. 12mm. Remove these and the seats will fall free. Lower unit has two tabs which you pull and pick up on the cushion.
IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Now you need to repair any damage to the seats. I started with the seam on the drivers seat.
IMAG0336.jpg

Open the seam up until you get to where the stock string is still tight. Get your string and needle ready.
IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

Start from one side making sure to give yourself way more than you will need. DO NOT be stingy. You are better off having too much than too little. Work back and forth to the adjacent hole in the leather. Only go down under the layer of leather. Leave loops as you go every 6 so that you are able to tighten them all down easier. Tighten together as you go. Once your all the way across work your way across tightening the leather together.
IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

end on a further down knot to the stock string
IMAG0348.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

I then moved on to the rear seat. Back the rips with the cloth from your leather repair kit.
IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

Clean with color prep
IMAG0382.jpg

Scuff up with scuff pad
IMAG0384.jpg

Use filler as glue to hold leather down to the cloth underneath it. Tool in pic is in the leather repair kit.
IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

Follow the instructions on the leather repair kit and fill the cracks. This will take 2 or 3 coats. You may need some light sanding to get it smooth.
IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

I then used some finish filler to get it as smooth as I could. You just dab it on and run it smooth. Let dry
IMAG0401.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Time to take apart front seats.
The lumbar support is held on with a pin which requires a pick to remove.
IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

Unplug seat belt underneath drivers seat (passenger doesn’t have this.
IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

Remove all screws holding on side plastics
IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

Headrests are easy. Pins hold the rubber covers down. Just slip a screw driver underneath and pop them out.
IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

There is two screws holding the rear piece to the headrest
IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Now we need to prep to dye the seats.
First is a good cleaning with the color prep and a leather brush.
IMAG0395.jpg

Second is a nice scrub down with a scuff pad.
IMAG0397.jpg

Once again give a good wipe down with color prep
IMAG0398.jpg

Repair any damage to the backings. Fill areas with the same leather filler. Use the color mixing paints in the kit to match the stock color.
IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

Finished result
IMAG0427.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Time for the fun part. Dab some dye onto the sponge and blot on the seat. First layer is not to cover but focus on keeping an even coverage. Second coat will come out MUCH better. Some areas will need up to 4 coats. Pay extra attention to the high use areas.
IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

The drivers seat before and after
IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

Now put it all back in and ENJOY. I will update with those pics once the rest of my interior restoration is complete. More interior How To’s on the way!
~James

Hotrodhendrix

bombton_gt4":30kwhpuo said:
thaxs alot imma do this to my seats but imma choose the Porche black :D

Awesome. Post up some before and after pics on here
Feel free to add any tips you find relevant.

~james

Hotrodhendrix

Well it has been more than a year. The color is still as dark as it was then. The leather is no longer as plush as it was just after I completed but some nice leather care products help. Over all I still say it was well worth the money. They dont look brand new but I would say 5 year old leather is the best match. No where near the 20 years it actually is.