DIY smoke leak detector/tester

MrDB

Ive had issues with cold start misfires etc for months replace leads, ignitor, coil, dizzy cap throttle position sensor etc etc..

sprayed loads around pipes gaskets and found no leaks

so in desperation i made a smoke leak tester.

You will need a sealed metal paint tin ( i used a roses chocolate tin in the UK)

2 nuts and bolts

2meters of tube

electric tyre inflator or air compressor

A coke or over beverage can

Soldering iron old one or diesel glow plug.

silicone sealant / epoxy glue

Firstly drill 2 holed in lid big enough for bolts to fit snug..

drill a hole through each bolt so it can be used as an air nipple.

use nut to clamp bolts to lid and attach hose to each, one goes to a pipe on intake and other to compressor to push smoke through... if you gt leaks around fitting use sealant / glue.

drill hole in side of tin and epoxy / silicone either soldering iron in side or the glow plug.

cut coke can to desired height and fit inside so tip of soldering iron is inside it or the glow plug.

put cotton wool soaked in baby oil or maintenance oil etc in can so it will smoke when heated by soldering iron. Use car battery to heat glow plug if your using that.

as a picture speaks thousand words so see below..

Turn power on and fit lid and smoke away use a torch to showup smoke better.. compressor will blow smoke through into intake. Make sure throttle is open so it fills system.

I used tape to seal lid as it wasnt a good fit.

The result was i found a leak around bottom of throttle body which i think is from the ICV so the rubber seal is probably buggered so well worth the time to make this useful tool... :) Hopefully the weekend will have the misfire issue resolved..

tubasteve

sure beats buying one off redline for $1100...I'm still trying this. nice job. I use our red line one all the time....

monkninja

Awesome work! I made a leak tester that just uses air so you have to listen or spray soapy water all over the place. But I still can't find the leak so this is great!