ST215 external wastegate problem

neodagzph

Hi guys,

Since its hard to find a surplus/second parts on the ST215 engine am stuck with a broken turbo (white smoke on the exhaust and visible oil marks on the compressor impeller shaft). I've been offered an upgrade (hybrid turbo) which will make use of my turbo housing but different internals. The problem is that i need to use an external wastegate. Since am a little tight on the budget (I need to prioritize what needs to be fix on the engine) so i'll be using my stock header.

matt12.jpg
borrowing a pic.

Where is the safest location to put my external wastegate given the above borrowed pic.

Thanks.

why do you need an external wastegate? what is your hybrid turbo? is it your stock st215 turbo with upgraded internals? if so, your turbo should bolt right up with no issues as it utilizes the same housing. if its any other turbo, you will need an adaptor to run it and ebay sells lots of these adaptors with external wastegate ports already attached.

neodagzph

celicast184":1bevkyyi said:
why do you need an external wastegate? what is your hybrid turbo? is it your stock st215 turbo with upgraded internals? if so, your turbo should bolt right up with no issues as it utilizes the same housing. if its any other turbo, you will need an adaptor to run it and ebay sells lots of these adaptors with external wastegate ports already attached.

i see, so even with a t3/t4 internals (no idea how the rebuilder will make this work) :oops: . i can still use my stock wastegate with no problems? so what things do i need just to be safe not to blow my engine.

Thanks.