How to- relocate oil cooler to fit fmic

celigts

So I've removed my ac unit and not I'm seeing that the oil cooler is causing me to scratch my head.

What fittings have you guys used and what have you done regarding moving the oil cooler.

Would like to see pictures of what you have if it's not to much to ask :D

tubasteve

2011-06-01204544.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

this what you mean?

4rsnduction

Well that's an interesting setup tubasteve....
I have relocated the oil filter to 2 spots in the past.
The first was where the water to air intercooler pump would sit (under the battery)
The second is behind the indicator on the bumper (right hand side of vehicle)

The best real world advise i can give you is to use -8an lines and fittings and if you use an oil cooler dont go larger than 10row.
I have -10an lines and fittings with a 12row oil cooler and i get really bad pressure drop when coming to a complete stop or idling on an inclined surface, without 2 oil pressure gauges watching 2 different areas i wouldn't have kept my car alive for this long.

Keep in mind this was originally done when i had a full engine rebuild back in 09 so me and the engineer had time to figure stuff out
The oil pump gear was changed, the unit now flows with more pressure, this is offset by the entire oil system being larger in volume...oil pressure is very close to stock.
We blocked the water bypass hose off so no more hose from hell to deal with, from now on 100% of oil cooling comes from the external oil cooler and not the stock oil/water cooling unit which is honest to god poo.
Cuts were made to allow the large -10an hoses to pass thru small holes in the engine bay
(you absolutely must cover the shiny steel braided hose with a a piece of rubber hose to stop it from vibrating against other metal surfaces, if it does get metal on metal vibrations u will split the hose quick smart....another hard lesson for myself...hopefully not for u)

Here are pics of both installs, i hope they help....pay no attention to the wrx oil filter :p another sacrifice i had to make

celigts

Damn. you guys have the real oil cooler but what I'm asking is there is a cooling unit for something in front of the radiator. It's pretty small... Maybe a transmission fluid cooler?

4rsnduction

celigts":34ech8q3 said:
is there is a cooling unit for something in front of the radiator. It's pretty small... Maybe a transmission fluid cooler?

yeh its called an oil cooler....
The stock transmission cooler is not really in the way of anything.

tubasteve

You keeping the stock huge bumper brace?

My oil temps are kinda low, pressure is perfect. Cooler has its own fan now with switch that when the high oil temp comes on above 210°.

tubasteve

Oh if you couldn't tell my cooler is where the washer bottle was, put a Blatter in the rear like the evo. I was inspired by the evo for my setup.

celigts

Anyone able to shim in by mentioning the proper fitting size for the lines going to and from the lock and cooler.

4rsnduction

celigts":26ed24um said:
Damn. you guys have the real oil cooler but what I'm asking is there is a cooling unit for something in front of the radiator. It's pretty small... Maybe a transmission fluid cooler?
I recently done this (within the last 50days) so i can give u the skinny while its all fresh in my head.
The gearbox has its own internal pump so the gearbox oil can circulate all the way to the back of the case and into the transfer without letting anything get dry or just relying on gravity and viscosity.
The pump is rather small so you must be very careful when choosing cooler core size and hose size and length.
My pump was rebuilt and flow tested on a bench and the best config we found was a 6row cooler core and -6AN sized hose no longer than 2.25meter total length, so you cut it in half when u want to set it up so u got roughly 112cm of -6AN hose going from the gearbox to the cooler and roughly 112cm of -6AN hose going from the cooler back to the gearbox.
The builders main fear was the pressure not being adequate to flow gearbox oil through the core, cool it efficiently and re-lubricate the gearbox.
Once everything was measured and tested it was installed in roughly the same position as stock....and after all the money and time spent the -6AN hose and the cooler core itself isn't even hot to the touch, i would say luke-warm at best...but i want replacing everything for better cooling, i did it because it was a fresh gearbox rebuild and if there was any small metal particles in the cooler core or hoses i wanted to remove them from the equation and start fresh.

klue

Make sure if your using an oil cooler, it has a thermostat built in. The regular spin on adapters DO NOT have one, more than likely your going to be WAY over cooling the oil unless you live in the desert.

For the tranny cooler, I have kits with all the fittings you need to relocate it anywhere, just tell me how much line you need. I run mine (st165) behind the opening on the driver side of the bumper, has a nice space for it there gets lots of air, and it out of the way :)

celigts

klue":2hzv87l9 said:
Make sure if your using an oil cooler, it has a thermostat built in. The regular spin on adapters DO NOT have one, more than likely your going to be WAY over cooling the oil unless you live in the desert.

For the tranny cooler, I have kits with all the fittings you need to relocate it anywhere, just tell me how much line you need. I run mine (st165) behind the opening on the driver side of the bumper, has a nice space for it there gets lots of air, and it out of the way :)

Dude I'm gonna definitely PM you about that. Are the fittings the same for the 165 and the 185? Or you have the 185 tranny in your car?

mr90alltrac

Yea it looks like a mini radiator with a couple lines running from it what i did is take a screw out n kinda tilted mines sideways without out damaging or bending the lines!