How to clearance 5S block for All-Trac use

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

How to clearance 5S block for All-Trac use

Postby New Guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 am

I recently set up a 5S block to go into a Camry All-Trac of all things, but have noticed a distinct lack of pictures of the necessary grinding.

Is anybody interested in me posting up the pics of what is necessary? If it'll help someone make the switch to that gloriously stout 5S block, I'll be happy to post them. :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Proud owner of an ESV220x.
New Guy
Club Member

Re: How to clearance 5S block for All-Trac use

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am

This would be helpful as it is a little unknown on how much of the webbing to remove
GT Four Adovansu "I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Elephant: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26687
DeeCee
Established Member

Re: How to clearance 5S block for All-Trac use

Postby New Guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Sorry about the block being dirty. I was wired on caffeine and did this all at about 11PM.

Start:

Finished and painted...

Front to back

Closeup of front

Closeup of back (sorry it's blurry)

Better angle of front to back

Little nub at the top, or what's left of it

Top towards bottom, to give a decent profile view of the new ribbing layout

Back towards front to give a good shot of the front ribbing

Bottom to the top for additional reference

Straight on view

The reason that top nub needs so much grinding is so the transfer case will clear while doing the rotate-push install of the transmission assembly... It isn't in the way of the transfer case when it's installed.

There isn't a great deal of clearance, but it fits quite nicely. The stock upper brace can not be reused (the block simply does not have the mounting points) but the brace that extends from the transfer case to the front of the block will bolt right in. There are bosses and tapped holes already on the block.

I hope this helps someone else! I was eventually able to find two so-so pictures on TN, and I mentally drew up a set of prints for the engine with those pictures factored in and was able to figure out where to grind... I hope these will give someone a nice idea of what is required. It took an hour and a half or so of grinding, but I was taking my time to be sure I didn't remove too much.

I wouldn't worry about compromising the strength any- there is still more "meat" in those areas than in a stock, unmodified 3S block.
Proud owner of an ESV220x.
New Guy
Club Member

Return to How To