[How To] replace radiator to a mishimoto radiator

ishmael.7

I just finished installing my Mishimoto Radiator and installed a 12" slim fan. I have attached the pictures. Taking old radiator required me to remove the underbody plastic covers. First drain your radiator and then disconnect the bottom radiator hose. Dispose of this properly.
I did an engine block flush by putting in a water hose and a clamp and turning it out until water came out clean. A lot of white foam was coming out, I do not know if this was normal or it was just cleaning it out. The good news is it started coming out a little more clear. I have attached pictures of the install. For the most part the radiator is a direct bolt on. The fan however does require cutting the wires and connecting the two cables together. You can still reuse the switch connector though, as long as you cut the wires before the connector so you can plug it back in so it can work.
Connecting the fan to the radiator as first was kind of tricky, but then I understood the concept of the mishimoto universal fan kit. Once you connect it all back together, add some coolant and water if you got just straight coolant if not using the 50/50 is good, but I chose to use straight coolant since there will already be water inside the engine block from the flush. Once I poured the whole bottle of coolant, I just added some distilled water and some drinking water :D

On the picture with the fan, I forgot to take a picture after I put the little circle things to lock the clip in place and cut the excess off. Im sorry about that. My first how to post.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 231

ishmael.7

My car still has A/C so I just replaced one fan and the other fan, I did not even touch it.

The next thing on my agenda is do put some heat wrap on my headers and down pipe to try to keep the heat out of the intercooler.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 231

l00k0v3rth3r3

i did this, and tried to mount the stock fan, the mounts are way off and the clearance is very very tight. i highly recommend the thin spal fan

alltracman78

I've been down this road too; I bought a Mishimoto last summer and the fan mounts wouldn't line up so I returned it.
I was hoping they had a different batch that maybe had a more accurate design.

Even if the slim fan moves more air than the stock one will, it's probably not going to pull as much air through the radiator because it has no shroud. Without a shroud the fan only pulls air directly in front of it. A shroud allows it to pull air through the entire surface of the shroud. Plus the stock fan is probably more reliable.

underscore

I don't think any of the oversized aftermarket rads fit the stock fan. Mishimoto makes shrouds for some of their other applications so they might be able to tell if they make any that are close enough in size to work.

klue

Hey guys im actually working on this. I built one yesterday, here is an old pic. If we have some interest I can build some more

11667391_1038706626164067_4817610752885121146_n.jpg

underscore

I've got some stainless I could make one from but for simplicity I'd probably just buy one from you. Can we run dual fans or in the one on the AC fan side liable to melt?

Lamont

klue":qt726dtc said:
Hey guys im actually working on this. I built one yesterday, here is an old pic. If we have some interest I can build some more

11667391_1038706626164067_4817610752885121146_n.jpg

I'm interested in getting one, PM me with details.

Thank you
Lamont

CSAlltrac

The stock fan will fit. It's not 100% bolt on but it can be done with little effort. I'm running a mishimoto with the stock fan.

mike325ci

klue: I'm definitely interested in an aluminum shroud like the one you have shown. I was actually going to make one myself, but never got around to it. Kinda like what this guy did: http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-foru ... 2-0-a.html

It is basically the same idea using an aluminum sheet... If you covered the whole radiator, even with one fan, the shroud should allow the fan to pull air from the entire back surface of the radiator-- did you consider that? (Plus it'll protect the fins from the alternator cooling duct assembly)...

In any case, please let us know (or via FB). I'll definitely buy one.

klue

Hey guys, sorry to thread jack. But at least its relevant to the orginal topic not a post about kittens :)

The shroud is all 1 peice of metal, brake and shear formed, with welded corners and mounting tabs. Higher strength and lighter weight. I also used a split vacuum hose as a gasket between the rad and the shroud. Im trying to find some kind of premade gaseket I can buy on a roll which is lower profile. Any tips?

Id like to do a run of 10 units. As that is the only way to make it cost effective. Powder coating is also an option.

As for running dual fans, I dont think its needed to be honest. Extending the shroud across the whole length of the rad I doubt will net any gain. Air will take the easiest path, and that would be straight ahead instead of pulling air from the AC area where it needs to flow perpendicular to its orginal path and then out the fan draw area.

11709663_1039820132719383_2396061544860446429_n.jpg