can i make an alltrac?

vishal25pm

so, i have an 88 alltrac sitting at my parents house in florida.. but as i live in seattle now, can i make my own all trac?
if i but an engine, trans, rear end, driveshaft, cross memebers, all the required stuff can i stick it in a chassis that is a regular ,say, gts?
i feel like ive seen info on this, and ive been searching but i cant find where it is.
i think from like 88-93 maybe still has space for the driveshaft and holes in the rear for the subframe to bolt to? if someone could point me in this direction, i dont want another subaru before winter comes.
any and all info would be appreciated. or the correct term to search even.
Thanks!!!

FC Zach

r-town":20oefg8a said:
As for an ST182 to ST185, I think you are better off just buying an alltrac from the get-go tbh.

Yep, they can be had for little and without anymore headaches than normal. I can't imagine how much more of a PITA a converted Celica would be, an AllTrac is enough torture for me. This goes for any FWD Celica really. With the exception of the 7th gen, why not just buy one already AWD? IMO the costs of a job like this would exceed the price of a decent AllTrac, probably a 6th gen too.

underscore

At this point by the time you've finished converting a 6th gen to AWD a real 205 with be US legal. They're also pretty cheap so why spend more money and do more work to get a car worth less in the end? If for some strange reason someone really wants an AWD 7th gen just buy an AWD Matrix, underneath they're basically the same car.

vishal25pm":1pqojpgd said:
i think from like 88-93 maybe still has space for the driveshaft and holes in the rear for the subframe to bolt to?

They don't. The entire floor pan from the firewall back is different between the 2WD and AWD models for the 4th and 5th gen.

vishal25pm

perfect, thats what i wanted to know. at some point i thought with like an 88 everything just bolted up, but i think that could have been in my head. ill just hold out till i find an alltrac i like. Thanks a bunch!