Insurance on a JDM RHD GT-Four in Ontario?

Sal

Hi, I'm trying to find insurance for a RHD 1990 Narrow body GT-Four here in Ontario. The car I'm looking at has been in Alberta for a year and is now here in Ontario. I tried Bel Air insurance as well as state farm and both came up with negative responses on insuring the vehicle.
I know there are a few people on this forum that have RHD's in Ontario so can someone enlighten me please?
I am 19 with a clean driving record with a G2. Am I going to get raped with insurance policies? If so I might as well put it under my fathers name.
Thanks.

Sal

No Spin

I believe you have private insurance in Ontario (BC, Sask., & Man. have public/gov insurance), like in Alberta. Just shop around some, I have had no issues with Meloche Monnex/TD Insurance. They offer a lot of group rate discounts for professional organizations and several corporations.

You might get a break if the car gets registered/insured under your father, but you will still get hit as the principal driver for insurance purposes. I recommend not insuring under the parent for liability reasons. If you ever have the misfortune of injuring someone and lose a lawsuit in excess of your insurance, your parents could lose everything they have. That is a longshot, but it has happened, so be aware of what you are asking of dad.

Sal

Thanks for the info bro.
I called a broker and they quoted me at 317 a month... thats 3700 a year.
Might do it up.

timmey

salv345":24a1qlzs said:
Thanks for the info bro.
Might do it up.

317 a month?!?!?!?! What the hell?

I pay $120 ish a month and I thought that was ridiculous. I live in BC Canada. Then again they insured it in same class as a GTS/GT (mine is a JDM GT-Four).

Sal

yup and thats on liability. (another company charged me a 380 a month! :shock: )
So yours is under is insured under the same class as GTS? How do I do that? I mean they asked what kind and went through all the classes and i said 2Dr liftback turbo AWD. So should I just not say its a GT Four? Would that not cause trouble if I get into an accident or am stopped my a cop?

timmey

salv345":wnztalwc said:
yup and thats on liability.
So yours is under GTS? How do I do that? just dont say its a GT Four? Wouldint that cause trouble?

I have full insurance, with collision/comprehensive and 2 or 1 million dollar liability (more than average)

I didn't tell them anything. They got so confused over this car they set it like that. I got my car insurance at my Bank, and they deal with domestic, regular cars all day. They don't know what the hell to do with these, so they call ICBC (BC's car insurance. we have to go with them, long and angry story...) and then the lady there got confused and said "Put it as a Celica GT". Legally I'm covered now, even if they shouldn't of put it as that :). All I know is BC doesn't have a class in-the-computer for these cars, so they need to call ICBC headquarters every time they insure one.

So not sure if you will be so lucky, I think the lady was being lazy. Maybe Ontario puts JDM cars in a separate class. Judging by the amount of young kids that wrap imported JDM cars too powerful for them around trees here, I wouldn't blame them.

Sal

True enough. I'm just gonna look for more competitive prices.
It is pretty gay. No student discounts, No good grades discount, nothing. ugh... I want one bad though.

Autobot

salv345":1qir61ck said:
Thanks for the info bro.
Might do it up.

Wow, I pay half of that in Manitoba. :shock:

No Spin

Both of you guys with cheap rates live in Public Insurance world, where insurance for young drivers is a lot more reasonable. When you are under private insurance, like the rest of the world, they nail the high risk groups hard (males under 25 is the worst) and give low risk groups a break. I have lived in Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Alberta, and paid about the same everywhere (but I am over 25).

AFAIK, Canadian insurance tables don't even have a designation for the Celica AWD turbo. They do have a "GTS-Turbo", which is as close as we can get, I suppose.

Locker

Call RBC thats who Im with... They seem to be pretty good. I added my alltrac to my policy and it ended up being cheaper to insure than a 1992 camry?????
They said it had something to do with exposure... because there are so few alltrac's on the road they have had little experience with claims with that car and therefore cheap insurance.

Sal

$348 a month! ughhh
Definitely sticking with Cowan Insurance.

I found a 92 RC that i'm checking out this weekend... wish me luck.

I'm with Meloche Monnex and reside in Edmonton. I'm paying 150.41 a month. I was paying 224 a month last year, I was quite the surprised at the drop when they sent me new pink slips. I'm 22 and have been driving for a year now.

hacker_720

Insurance is UNBELIVABLE in ontario. My wife and I lived in Toronto for 6 months, during that time, we had our car insured under her parent's address in Kitchener/waterloo it was going to be $600.00/month for a 1995 sebring under my wife.

I had a perfect record and my alltrac was like $400.00/month. And that was through RBC.

Now my insurace is $270 or so a month on a TL for both me and my wife in kitchener/waterloo and I feel that it's good. All my friends pay more, it's horrible. You almost always end up paying more for insurance then the car it's self, just like you end up paying more income taxes then you mortgage/rent... something it wrong with this world.