North American ST205 owners

Sal

Today on my way back home with a buddy i spotted a black WRC. I made my friend in the WRX do a quick u-turn and gun it over to him lol. We managed to catch up and I made him lower his window to see where he was going and where he was from... Said to me that he's from Barrie and that he was visiting his girlfriend in Kitchener/Waterloo!

Anyone on here?

Insanity-74

Domspun":3i2g4vfn said:
Insanity-74":3i2g4vfn said:
Dont know if he has posted on here or not, but a Guy has just joined the GT4OC who has an Real ST205 in New York, LHD imported from Italy, all legal....so it is possible. Nice looking car too.

Not legal to an american citizen, he must be a foreigner.

No...he is an American.

LegacyofDan

Insanity-74":3d9cryu1 said:
Dont know if he has posted on here or not, but a Guy has just joined the GT4OC who has an Real ST205 in New York, LHD imported from Italy, all legal....so it is possible. Nice looking car too.

oh really? post the link to it! i want to talk to him and figure out how he did it Legally... :notworthy:

Domspun

Insanity-74":1046tfsg said:
Domspun":1046tfsg said:
Insanity-74":1046tfsg said:

Not legal to an american citizen, he must be a foreigner.

No...he is an American.
oh really, then explain how he got it LEGALLY in the US? The law is clear on that, it's 25 years or more for a foreign car to be imported in the US.

mike325ci

i, as with everyone else, is interested in knowing as well; but mostly has to do with him being in the military and sent overseas and brought the car upon return to the USA. many gray market europeans cars came back this way (which i guess technically is illegal too). photos of his car clearly shows NYS license plates, registration sticker, and inspection sticker.

he briefly outlined it in his post on GT4OC: did you not read it? i was hoping he'd come here and register and post about it, but i don't think he has...

for the lazy people, here it is (not sure if appropriate to cut/paste from another board to here, if so, mods, leave the URL and take out the post)

http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1095359

by Swift Elemental on 08 Mar 2010 23:43
Hello all, I'm from Long Island, NY. I've been owning my GT-4 for 2 years now. It was imported from Italy. I bought the car when I was stationed in Italy with the US army for 4 years. I bought the car in my last year there before returning home. I have to say it was kind of difficult getting her here to the states. Getting registration for this car was quite time consuming and some money was needed. Guess since I was in the army it was a little easier to import her here. Although I had to buy a USDM rear license plate bezel so I could properly mount a New York plate in the back. Also had to swap in a USDM steering wheel with SRS, since the original 3 spoke steering wheel was a non-SRS. She's a 94 Gt-4 with now 174k miles. She's pretty much stock except for the rims and some mild mods under the bonnet. Since the GT-4 is pretty much illegal here in the states I get a lot of questions about it and how I got it here. I'm rather happy it's LHD though since here and Italy drive LHD. Anyways enough about me here is some pictures recently of my baby. Enjoy.

by Swift Elemental on 09 Mar 2010 17:13
Hey guys, Thanks for all the faff love! Yeah importing her here to New York was fairly difficult. Before returning home a little over a year ago. I left the car behind at a storage facility which also exports cars. I didn't see my car for months only took some pictures of it before I left home. I had used my wife's USDM Celica ST (AT200) while I waited for my ST205 to come home.

First I had to have the Italian issued title sent via air mail here to my home. It took over 1 month to wait for that. After finally getting it in the mail I had to go to the DMV and get special paper work for the car. I actually had a new temp NY title made a few months before I even got the car here. The title was for a kit car. After having the new NYS kit car title issued I had it faxed over to the exportation depot and customs there. Then after everything was finally finalized the car began it's long voyage from it's home land to the USA. It took 2 months to get to to customs here in the states. Then an additional 1 1/2 to have the car checked and inspected and emissions check too. Once finally cleared I had the car shipped from Georgia up to NY which took 8 days. Once she arrived at my house she sat in my garage safe for another 1 months until I was able to get her inspected here in NY and after she passed she was finally issued a official passenger car title. After that she was on the road and it was amazing driving her around here at home. I was use to driving here around back in Italy for over a year. It felt great having her home. It's like adopting a child from another country. I was so happy. Yes a lot of people ask me all the time about how I got a GT-4 here. It cost me altogether $5,000 to get her here and registered and inspected cleared for public road use. It's great because its LHD not RHD. She's fast love the AWD power here. Sadly though the only thing I worry about is when if something needs to be serviced it might be hard to replace some of the parts on this 3s-gte engine seeing that this engine was not released after 1994 for the 6th gen Celicas.

Cheers from NY!!!

Insanity-74

Domspun":2so4wcqc said:
oh really, then explain how he got it LEGALLY in the US? The law is clear on that, it's 25 years or more for a foreign car to be imported in the US.

Yes really.... I dont bull shit...I`m too old and too tired to bother with messin people about...if you dont believe me then :shrug: no skin off my nose. Your loss...not mine.

Domspun

Insanity-74":116kac8n said:
Domspun":116kac8n said:

Yes really.... I dont bull shit...I`m too old and too tired to bother with messin people about...if you dont believe me then :shrug: no skin off my nose. Your loss...not mine.

Just read the post, he's in the military and got it registered as a kit car, so it's not fully legit. A regular citizen can not do that. A lot of american soldiers stationned in Japan imported JDM cars to the state, they are allowed to do this.

95wrc

Guy who posted "LHD" ST205 on GT4OC was a scam ..Not even his car . Pic are ST205 looking FWD GT
and used with out permission ..i guess people have nothing better to than make up stories.

Domspun

Insanity-74":451bp0db said:
Domspun":451bp0db said:

Now that it is proven to be a hoax, I find your post quite amusing! lol

mike325ci

However, there *are* ST205s in the USA (I'd say less than a dozen total). Whether registered as kit cars or show cars or race cars; there are ST205s in the USA, so I don't understand what the fighting is about...

Anyways, that was a bummer re: that car. I thought I could buy it later since it was local to me. :p :shoots:

Insanity-74

Domspun":201h6vw0 said:
Insanity-74":201h6vw0 said:
Domspun":201h6vw0 said:

Now that it is proven to be a hoax, I find your post quite amusing! lol

Yes so do I :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh well....that shuts me up eh!....you win some...and in this case lose some....I`ll go and beat myself repeatedly with a big stick for opening my big mouth. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It does however answer the question..How to get an ST205 into the states......you buy an st202 and pretend :lol:

LechacZ

Well i guess it was time for me to jump on the band wagon and get a ST205 WRC too...
So here it is, I just got her and she is a fine vehicle. 104k on the clock and everything is stock

Domspun

LechacZ":3r7vrghk said:
Well i guess it was time for me to jump on the band wagon and get a ST205 WRC too...
So here it is, I just got her and she is a fine vehicle. 104k on the clock and everything is stock
Nice!
Can you tell the price you paid? You can PM me if you want. I want to know for how much they go these days in Ontario. :D

SleepingTurbo

i want to become an owner. id love to own one of these, as i imagine it would have far less problems than my 165.

i have some connections. im going to see what can be done.i want a white one, like my 165. but i want the WRC version, so i can have the unlockable anti-lag.

Domspun

Pic from the track!

photo3.jpg

schmooot

SleepingTurbo":1fptilxv said:
i want to become an owner. id love to own one of these, as i imagine it would have far less problems than my 165.

i have some connections. im going to see what can be done.i want a white one, like my 165. but i want the WRC version, so i can have the unlockable anti-lag.

Unless you want to replace your turbo every week you aren't going to want to unlock the anti-lag system...those things aren't cheap