Painting riser blocks.

GTFOURST205guy

Okay, bought a set of riser blocks off ebay which i had been lead to believe would be black. They weren't, they are light gray. but I decided to avoid any further problems, I would have them painted myself. So my question is; can I use spraypaint and if not, where should I take them?

IMG_0006.jpg

YerRandO

There are places that can match up your paint code and mix up paint into a spray can for you. Where abouts are you located? But if it turns out good is really up to how well you can paint. You can also ask around for local painters, or even mobile guys that do touch up work. I work for a dealership and we have several painters that come in to do touch up work, I'm sure they would do it cheap and it's probably going to look better.

GTFOURST205guy

well I already bought touch up spray paint and did two coats on one side of both. It actually looks really good and is exactly the color and texture I was hoping for. Gonna finish the other side tomorrow and will update with pictures. But I think the spray paint will do the trick just fine... first car wash will likely be the test. :p

YerRandO

Nice. It's all about the prep work, making sure that paint is going to have a good surface to bond to. Definatly post some pics when it's all done.

GTFOURST205guy

YerRandO":1dk3e2mc said:
Nice. It's all about the prep work, making sure that paint is going to have a good surface to bond to. Definatly post some pics when it's all done.

Ya what I did was sanded it, rinsed with water, washed with soap and water, rinsed with water, dried it and painted.

GTFOURST205guy

not quite finished the second block but here's the pictures so far:

just painted:
IMG_0008.jpg

1st block finished:
IMG_0013.jpg

second block needs some touch ups because after doing the first side, it left small drips on the other side, I sanded it down a little but after painting it found out not enough so i sanded it again and fixed it, just waiting for that side to dry and then touch ups on the other side then finished. pretty depressing without having the car yet but it helped pass the time.

will have pictures of them on the car in about a month... :(

azian_advanced

cool.. the original blocks are normally black plastic and don't appear to glossy so a simple spray can paint job would at least make it look OEM.

damn, i have an extra pair of OEM blocks i could've sold you. so what are you gonna do with your Eurou blocks when your car arrives?

GTFOURST205guy

azian_advanced":2mfitfiu said:
cool.. the original blocks are normally black plastic and don't appear to glossy so a simple spray can paint job would at least make it look OEM.

damn, i have an extra pair of OEM blocks i could've sold you. so what are you gonna do with your Eurou blocks when your car arrives?

Damn, just put in an order for OEM blocks on 1sttoyotaparts, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the other blocks. where did you get your blocks?

azian_advanced

i got it from another 6gc enthusiast on ebay. they're in used shape but the good thing about these OEM ones is that the blocks come apart as two pieces making the installation to your original spoiler a tad easier. plus these things are about 5lb heavier and feel stronger than the fiberglass ones.

GTFOURST205guy

azian_advanced":2124v7zi said:
i got it from another 6gc enthusiast on ebay. they're in used shape but the good thing about these OEM ones is that the blocks come apart as two pieces making the installation to your original spoiler a tad easier. plus these things are about 5lb heavier and feel stronger than the fiberglass ones.

Do the OEM ones come in black? or will I have to go through the whole ordeal of painting them again?