Cracked engine block & gearbox issues... options/opinions??

MWP

Hi all,

So i need some opinions...

My situation:
My ST185 has a factory gen2 engine with hi-flowed CT26 (18psi), ran by a Microtech ECU. It also has a ST205 gearbox.
The engine block has cracked, and the gearbox has a failing (getting quite noisy) front left output shaft bearing.
The car is still drivable, doesnt over heat, just leaks coolant. Not sure if the crack will grow, or how long the gearbox bearing will last.

It appears my engine choices are:
1 - Find a short block in decent condition, use as is with my current head and everything else.
2 - Find a short block, rebuild with some forged bits, use my current head and everything else.
3 - Find a ST205 3rd gen 3S-GTE long block, use all of it with my Microtech.
4 - Find a ST215 4th gen 3S-GTE long block, install my current rods in it (possible??), use my Microtech.
5 - 5S-GTE build using my gen2 head and my CT26 (upgraded turbo not an option atm), use my Microtech.

As for the gearbox, i can either rebuild my current box (anyone attempted a DIY rebiuld?), or find a 2nd hand 205 gearbox.

I dont have the $$s to do any of the above yet, so will be saving hard over the next couple of months to do so.
Of course, going up in power would be nice but if the problems get worse, and i cant drive the car anymore, then getting it running ASAP will be the priority.

Even though option #2 would give me a stronger engine, it wouldnt allow me to get out any more power than i do currently. It would be good in that i can upgrade the limiting parts (turbo & fueling) to up the HP in the future though.
Options #3 and #4 would give a decent increase in power straight off, and with no downsides?

Any opinions, or options i havent considered?

aus jd 2703

imo rebuild the gear box and find a decent block and if ya can afford it go forged other wise a full gen 3 would be ok but since u have a microtech doesnt really matter which model engine assuming they are al in the condition. a 5sgte would be nice especially with forged goodies but troublesome id think especialy if this is your current car and only car

MWP

aus jd 2703":bekdfdgb said:
... but since u have a microtech doesnt really matter which model engine assuming they are al in the condition.

Not really, there are some big differences between the gen2 and gen3 engines.

a 5sgte would be nice especially with forged goodies but troublesome id think especially if this is your current car and only car

Yup, you are probably right there :(

aus jd 2703

I thought the only difference was the oil pan and head?
I've got a gen 2 in pieces and a gen 3 in the car so I'm curious to know the differences?

MWP

aus jd 2703":1h6je2xy said:
I thought the only difference was the oil pan and head?
I've got a gen 2 in pieces and a gen 3 in the car so I'm curious to know the differences?

... and the CT20B and the better inlet manifold.
The 3rd gen head flows *much* better than a 1st or 2nd gen.

redGT4

I'm guessing you want to get done by the track day in october. I'd just get another gen2 block and take it from there.