1992 ST 185 AllTrac Question about sale price Advice please

normt92Alltrac

196,000 miles on Frame , 41,000 miles on JDM Engine.
If I am interested in selling what would be the range I could expect? Where would be the best place to sell? Trying PA Allentown Craigslist today. Advice?

Synchrite

I would think it depends how quickly you need to sell it. It'll be worth more to the right buyer, but it can take a loong time to squeeze the most out of a car. If it were stock besides the engine swap and very clean and maintained I would guess 4.5-6k range somewhere wouldn't be completely unreasonable. Again, depending how fast you need it gone post it for the high range of what you want for it and when you're talking about details like the fact it's got almost 200k on the body or this or that needs fixing then the person interested will start thinking how to get you to lower the price. That's when you volunteer that yeah, it's kind of high or bad or whatever so I can go a bit lower etc etc.

If you have the luxury of time you don't really have to worry about sounding snobby by asking too much. Lots of info and pictures usually means you can do more talking before you have to actually show it to the person so it won't waste as much of your time. If you list it high and get lots of people trying to talk you down, just do your best to gauge the specific reasons people won't pay more for it and either address them before selling or make a note that you're slightly flexible on your price because of it.

From what I've seen in the past year or so I've really been watching them they seem to go in a heartbeat for under $3000 almost no matter the condition. Above that and it starts to matter. Over $5000 and it's gotta be pretty nice, with $6000 probably being about as nice as you'll find besides those few that have basically just been garaged forever. Craigslist is probably the first place (besides here and other toyota sites) I'd go to try to sell it and then maybe other used car listing sites. Posting physical ads locally probably won't give it enough exposure to attract anyone who even knows what it is.

That turned into probably more than you wanted, but I hope at least some of it helps a bit. Good luck.. don't sell it to someone who'll ruin it! :cry:

Terracar

Honestly it depends on the condition of you 'trac. I picked up my '92 in good shape no rust at 130k mi for $3000. No issues except a worn clutch really, but there again no other issues.

I would say in this day in age, considering the economy, $4000 would be a fair offer, but will take a considerable amount of time to get. $3000 I would imagine as a quick sale. Personally they are not $6k unless they are 93s and in mint condition.

The demand is somewhat low as these cars are widely unknown and obscure.

-Terracar

normt92Alltrac

Well it sold in one day for $4650, to a mechanic 15 miles away. He seemed really happy to find one so close. My 10 year old daughter is crying her eyes out. She wanted it as in first car in six years. I offered her the 04 BMW 325 XI and she only cried loader. I will shed a tear after the title dup comes from the DMV and I have to sign it over next week.
It looks like it is going to the right owner , he quoted about every WRC race the model was in competition. He only wished it had better paint coat because he only does mechanical work.

I found a bunch of pictures from the years I had it. I will post them when I get a chance.

Synchrite

I've seen a few go in the Seattle area for 5-7k in the past year. I'm still convinced if it's not a heap and you present it well you can get a good amount out of one.