AC delete in an RC

underscore

Hey guys, I'm trying to get the AC out of my RC, I've already got the pump off the block and the two lines that were attached to it removed, as well as the AC fan. The front bumper is now off and I've realised that the intercooler sits in front of the AC, with another small cooler bolted to the right side of it (I was originally under the impression that the AC was at the very front).

My question is as follows: what is the easiest way to remove the AC at this point? can it be done without dumping the intercooler water, the engine coolant and whatever else is running through the cooler in front of everything? what the heck do I remove, as it looks like everything is blocked in on all sides.

tubasteve

underscore":33t59vp6 said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to get the AC out of my RC, I've already got the pump off the block and the two lines that were attached to it removed, as well as the AC fan. The front bumper is now off and I've realised that the intercooler sits in front of the AC, with another small cooler bolted to the right side of it (I was originally under the impression that the AC was at the very front).

My question is as follows: what is the easiest way to remove the AC at this point? can it be done without dumping the intercooler water, the engine coolant and whatever else is running through the cooler in front of everything? what the heck do I remove, as it looks like everything is blocked in on all sides.

The coolers in front are p/s, and Trans coolers. I think that's it.

temperacerguy

He has an RC, so he also needs to remove the A/W heat exchanger.

No, you need to pull those all off... it's not a big deal though. with the power steering pump cooler and the tranny cooler, just unbolt them from the frame and pivot them out of the way.

underscore

yeah I remember being told that there was no point in hooking up the intercooler sprayer if the AC was still there, because the AC was in front of the WTA. So now how do I go about dropping the intercooler and then the AC? I'm assuming start pulling bolts and eventually the bottom edge will swing out so I can pull it down?

Also what is the metal cylinder sitting vertically and in front of the right edge of the intercooler? It looks like part of the AC system so I can remove it?

underscore

Oh and does anyone have the procedure for burping the intercooler once I put everything back together?

Corey

Does the cylinder have a red or black cap which protrudes out of the right side of the plastic cooling panel? If so, its part of the AC and can go.

ALLensTRAC

The metal cylinder you speak of is the reciever/dryer and can be thrown out. Its purpose is to collect moisture in the AC system.

underscore

it doesn't have a cap on the top nozzle and my cooling panel is MIA, I'm pretty sure the drivers front corner of the car got a bit crunched at one point :(

Thanks Allen, I'll yank it out then.

awolo

Is there a right up anywhere about removing the AC in my ST185?

I don't use it and would like to get it out of there.

Corey

There is a write up with pictures on www.gtfours.co.uk under "how-to"

I can't give you a direct link, it wont work. But it takes 5 seconds to find in the drop down menu on the left.

awolo

Is the gtfours.uk.co site down?

I need to to see a write up on AC removal. The last part that shows which connector to wire so my Radiator fan stop running constantly.

Corey

http://www.gtfours.co.uk ?

Hmm doesn't work on my phone either.

The connector u need to bridge is the pressure switch located on the hardline as it enters the firewall. Just use a wire inserted into 2 of the 4 pins in the connector - wide wise, not narrow.

Other option is to remove sensor from hardline and leave it plugged into connector

awolo

Yeah, it just keeps taking me to some default site.

I'm trying to find that picture of the connector though, as I'm not exactly sure which one it is.

My plan is to wire it up with a switch. This way I can turn it on whenever I would like, (track days/AutoX), but then also just turn it off for normal DD use.

michicop

I´m about to remove my AC in a few weeks. There are some people interested, is it posible to install the AC in a T18 which wasn´t equipped with that?

underscore

I believe so, it should be the same on both cars. The actual pump may vary a bit on a 3SGTE vs a 5SFE. Check the parts diagrams.

MWP

Anyone know if its possible using existing brackets from a different car to low mount the alternator (where the AC pump normally sits)?

Corey

Its possible for sure, but you may have to make your own bracket like an owner did on the gt4oc. He made a very lightweight bracket for his 205 and mounted it using the existing bolt holes in the block just above the oilpan. His setup ditches a tensioner pulley and uses a very short belt