FMIC for a st205

Chidler

Hi people

Can I ask our resident experts for your thoughts on getting a FMIC onto a celica gt4. Am I going to get a performance
increase by adding one. I know the standard "charge cooler" does an adequate job but also aware that positioning the cooling system right on top of the engine can mean extra heat.

Ive already acquired an intercooler with all the pipes I need. apart from looking mean having a FMIC exposed at the front
will it give me the bang im looking for?

ALLensTRAC

I would say no. Depending on your mods the 205 cooler is great! Just upgrade the pump and heat exchanger to larger units. Also you will see an increase in lag due to the increased distance the air has to travel. Unless the car is making 700hp you would be going backwards in my mind. Unless you just want the "mean" look. And even then obtaining a large heat exchanger and putting in front looks just as mean as a fmic.

My advice: sell the fmic and buy quality upgrades for the pump and heat exchanger. You will see better decreases in charge temp with these than a front mount. Also look up member yota3.0's project thread for his 185. He is making 600whp with the oe core and pump, exchanger upgrades.

RedCelicaTRD

I want to know how long he can run flat out with the 205 core. He built the car for ice racing so it might not work that well for everyone. Water to air intercoolers are great for quick runs on a tiny intercooler, so more pulls would be needed in my opinion.

Chidler

just as I suspected. im definitely going to follow your advice ill ebay the fmic tonight and start looking at the pump and heat exchanger

any recommendations on parts or companies offering these off the shelf?

ALLensTRAC

RedCelicaTRD":1aie05jb said:
I want to know how long he can run flat out with the 205 core. He built the car for ice racing so it might not work that well for everyone. Water to air intercoolers are great for quick runs on a tiny intercooler, so more pulls would be needed in my opinion.

IIRC he was having overheat issues but the charge temps were low. He has it on wastegate pressure now which still nets him 400whp. The 600hp run was maxing his turbo out anyways so I doubt he keeps it there for long.

As for recommending upgrades take a look at what the Terminator Mustang Cobra guys run. They have to deal with that terrible blower which heat soaks like crazy so their stuff is pretty stout. I personally have zero experience with WTA but for a pump the Mezziere(not sure of spelling) pumps work great. Also look at a few other members projects as a lot of guys have upgraded as well.