RC/CS WTA mounting questions

muneo

Where does the radiator go and how does it mount? What do I have to take off?

Where does the pump go and how does it mount? What do i have to take off?

How does the temp sensor wire up?

Intercooler, hoses, pump radiator, sensor wiring...am I missing anything crucial here?

beej

the pump is electrically controlled and mounts under the front left fender

the radiator for the system mounts to the right side infront of the main radiator. pipes and hoses u can figure a route yourself, perhaps even a better one

the temp sensor wires up to the intercooler and im pretty sure the pump, so that the pump knows wen to turn on.

u haf to take off your old intercooler system

*intake pipes are 5mm wider than ATA and throttle body last i heard was also 5mm wider, so u'll haf to make a throat at urs somewhere

i think u've covered everything crucial my friend

muneo

Thanks for the info.

Follow up questions...

Pump mounts under the front left fender? Where are we talking about? Inside the engine bay near the battery, brake booster, near the strut? Or Inside the fender?

Radiator mounts infront of main radiator. In between the A/C condenser or in front of that too? Does it mount to the upper support like the radiator?

Electronics:

2 wires coming from the sensor on top of the WTA and 3 wires coming from the pump. Hmmm, I wonder if the setup is the same as the 165 guys?

alltracman78

Dunno how it mounts up, but I can tell you 2 things.
One, it doesn't mount between the rad and ac condeser. No room. It will have to mount in front of them.
I don't see it mounting to the top support. It would hit the fan. I'm guessing it mounts lower down, with it's own mounting points.
You don't need the temp switch. Just leave it in the hole, unconnected, and rig the pump for constant run. Maybe with a switch so you can turn off if you want.

snowbird

muneo":1iqdi20r said:
Pump mounts under the front left fender? Where are we talking about? Inside the engine bay near the battery, brake booster, near the strut? Or Inside the fender?

Radiator mounts infront of main radiator. In between the A/C condenser or in front of that too? Does it mount to the upper support like the radiator?

Electronics:

2 wires coming from the sensor on top of the WTA and 3 wires coming from the pump. Hmmm, I wonder if the setup is the same as the 165 guys?

Hey Muneo,

I have a US spec ST185 that had a CS/RC WTA set up installed. Here's how the previous owner did it.

The pump mounts INSIDE the left front fender between the fender and the plastic fender liner. The bolts run up through the metal plate directly underneath the stock battery location. I think this is the stock configuration.

Heat exchanger mounts in front of the AC Condensor.

2 wires on the top of the IC are coolant level sensors and you can leave them unplugged.

3 wires for the pump are most likely "Ground", "Power" and "Turn On". "Ground" you can just bolt to the body. "Turn On" you should get from an "Ignition Hot" source. "Power" you can source directly off the battery "+" but make sure to put a fuse inline.

This is a really basic way to wire the pump and it will run all the time when the key is turned on. There may be better/safer ways to wire the pump using a relay and if your battery is in the trunk you will probably need some advice on how to do this... Sorry but I don't have experience in how to wire it with a relay.

Best regards,
Matt Crawley

muneo

Mounting the radiator is gonna be a bit tricky with the stock 185 front bumper support. That thing is huge compared to the RC aluminum one.

Anyone have any pics of a mounted radiator for a 185 RC set-up?

This radiator has connection points on the top, bottom and sides...yet I cant find any points where they would mount up to.

k_trac

I put my pump right where the battery used to go. I kinda made up my own routing which I think is pretty trick. I ended up cutting out like 2 feet of tubing, making everything a nice straight shot. I may mount the pump on the flip side of where it is right now since the resonator is no longer there.

I dont have the AC condensor anymore, so the radiator went in its place. It was a tricky fit, cuz the things damn big, but I made some custom brackets to make it all fit as oem as possible. Its kinda tilted at an angle, but its pretty straight.

Check out the pics