st185 swap

wexicanracer

I just bought an 88 all trac st165. The engine needs rebuilding. I found an st185 j-spec motor and I figured it might save headache just to swap. What I need to know is, will my tranny bolt straight up? Will my ecu/ wiring harness work? And where exactly does the extra HP come from in the 185? Are the only differences the intercooler and the twin entry turbo setup? please help

1BADGT4

wexicanracer":247fbugl said:
I just bought an 88 all trac st165. The engine needs rebuilding. I found an st185 j-spec motor and I figured it might save headache just to swap.

Try the search button. It can do amazing things!

will my tranny bolt straight up?

Yes

Will my ecu/ wiring harness work?

Yes and No

And where exactly does the extra HP come from in the 185?

Different maps for higher gas ratings and other little things to the 2gen motor

wexicanracer

yeah, I tried the "search button" before I started this thread and didn't get much out of it. I was hoping to find somebody willing to help out faster so I can jump on this 185. Thanks anyway

1BADGT4

Gary":8dzinkdq said:

WERD :p

wexicanracer":8dzinkdq said:
DAMN! After reading all the info here: http://www.gtfour.ca/howtoswap.html . I think I'll stick to rebuilding the head and block. Silly of me to think that it would be a simple swap. So much for more HP.

If your engine is in decent condition, you don't needa rebuild it. Just do you maintenence stuff, like the fuel filter.

More power isn't that hard to get, just make sure you have a good foundation (see above). The secret to power is having all the goodies work in harmony.