Just bought a JDM Celica GT Four RC

Sal

Hey guys I just bought a red Celica GT Four RC. I am the first owner in Canada, and will be going for my safety inspection and emissions today. Wish me luck, as i bought the car for 4800 as is. DAMN that car flies.
Just a few questions however.

-How reliable are these cars? Since its a JDM engine if I ever run into problems, can i swap parts for a USDM 3SGTE?
-What are the most common mechanical issues with these cars?
-I only plan on getting an Intake and BOV. Any suggestions on what kind and linkie please?
-Its an RC Celica, apparently 1800 for the Japanese. Where is the badge that suggests its an RC? (Ex: 1946 of 5000)

Pics will be up later on today because it needs a good clean.

Sifu

Nice find and a good price too!

To answer your questions:
- They are as reliable as a 15yr+ car is. It'll depend on the vehicle maintenance record/schedule and previous owner's ability to keep it running well. Other than that it's over engineered for it's time. Very reliable if in decent condition.

Most parts are interchangeable with the exception of the electronics and the rear diff.

- Common issues are rust and mystery leaking oil.

- That's a personal preference. The old HKS SSQV are still very popular and that seems to be a big choice for many users. There are links on the homepage but you can also youtube alltrac and HKS BOV. There should be audio clips. As for a short intake most people get/make a custom short pipe and just stick a filter on top of that. The AFM will have to stay unless you delete it via EMS standalone.

- Your VIN should have the production number as well. But I always thought there was a plaque that had it's production number? I don't keep up with the CS/RC versions because we never really got them here in the States. :(

Corey

Nice steal :) good luck with inspections

Where are you located?

The badge is supposed to be in the cockpit somewhere. The european models and Aussi models came with it by the shifter.

I've found that alot of original jdm owners steal the badge off before they sell it. If it is still with the car, sometimes it's stuck in a new place, like on the glove box.

Sal

Alright here are some pics! The car even came with the original O.Z. Wheels!!! they are really gorgeous on the car. Its even got yellow headlights and some really JDM antenna's. There function is unknown to me. OH and some Kenwood speakers... I was looking at all the RHD cars at the dealership and they all had big speakers right by the hatches. Steering wheel is worn out but i don't mind.
I reside in Kitchener Ontario. Probably the only one that owns an RC around here.

IMG02462.jpg

IMG02463.jpg

IMG02464.jpg

IMG02465.jpg

IMG02466.jpg

IMG02467.jpg

IMG02468.jpg

IMG02469.jpg

IMG02470.jpg

My safety inspection went well. I just got to set up my insurance august 1st. The cars paint is fading so im gonna wax this baby up to the best of my extent.
as for importing, yes i am the first owner in Canada. BUT I got it at a dealership so everything was done for me :)
I drove it 127 Km and did not want to push the car since I have no idea how the previous owner in japan handled it. But i let her rip on some streets against my friends rsx type s and handled him no problem lol.

The car has 130ks on the dot.

What do you guys think!?

No Spin

Good price for the car, you sure couldn't much get more for your money. I think the prices are dropping a little on some JDM imports in Canada.

I don't know if it's market saturation or what, but I have seen the prices leveling off and even dropping on a lot of cars lately.

MixMaster

This is the one that the JDM importer had on his lot along with a black Grp A, I believe (with some body kit). The guy didn't give much info on the car and his posts for sale got deleted. AWESOME deal and looks like it's in great shape. Congrats to you on doing the leg work and getting a great looking steal/deal.

Sal

yea man thanks.

The guy tried selling it to me for 6000 but the dealership offered it for less. A little confused there.

Anyone know what the E test in Ontario for 4WD cars work? Is it low and high idle on neutral? I hear they read it at 2500RPM?
Should i run the car for a while?
I don't think they make the car hit boost at all.

Just waxed her today. She's a real beauty and my neighborhood is so involved with the car. Its not even on the road yet :( not until August 1st.. that is if it passes etest.

Sal

I didint go through that guy. I had no trust in him so I went out to the car import dealership to see and buy it. Never seen this guy either.
Turns out I got the car almost $2000 cheaper...

Sorry bro. I hope this gets fixed soon though.

masco

I think I visited this car about a year ago. It was at a JDM importer, asking $5000.

A couple philipino guys ordered a few Gt-fours from him. and he had this one extra. It was sitting around for a little while. It quickly sold.

The paint was faded. It had damage to the JDM driver's side fenders around the wheel wells. The front bumper was also bent. One of the foglights was cracked. the guy said it was from shipping damage.

The reason why I think its the same car is because of the silicone around the MAF and the crazy jdm antenna.

But this could be a completely different car...because the antenna might have been mounted on the roof not the glass.

Anyways! Salv,

enjoy your super nice ride! big upgrade from the gt-s. ill buy your rims off you! haha.