valve cover coating

goldfish

I just wanted to post pics of my new valve cover. I got it ceramachromed by Finish Line. I had my heat shiled done two years ago and it still looks great without ever cleaning it. This should go on as soon as I find some free time. I'll post pics again when it is finally installed. It's not as reflective as chrome, but it is close.

vc1.jpg

vc2.jpg

goldfish

Well, I dont know about show & go - it's more for show. I dont think heat treating on a valve cover would do a lot to reduce engine bay temps, but it may a little. Since I have FMIC, i dont think it will help that much. My old valve cover has a crack in it and looks old, so since I was getting a new one anyway, I figured I would make it look nice.

It was $85 + shipping. I believe powder coating is cheaper, but I think ceramic coating is much nicer.

RIalltrac

Its good for guys with top mounts, reduces heat soak a little bit. I'm considering picking up another valve cover so I can do just this. I had finishline do my exhaust in the flat black coating they have. Stuff is mint, takes a good beating and doesnt crack or flake off.

RIalltrac

Heres the link to thier site http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

I only had my dp & mp coated. I figured since the rear section was stainless & it was far enough away from the engine bay for me to not really care about the heat dissipating from the line I didnt coat that portion. What I did have done ran me about 125-150, cant remember exactly, and shipping both ways of course. So more like 200 bucks when all is said and done.

MARLON1211

goldfish":1lgwjvyt said:
I just wanted to post pics of my new valve cover. I got it ceramachromed by Finish Line. I had my heat shiled done two years ago and it still looks great without ever cleaning it. This should go on as soon as I find some free time. I'll post pics again when it is finally installed. It's not as reflective as chrome, but it is close.

I got mine something like that too, and now just wondering is there any write ups on how to remove the old ones off and put this new ones in, and how about gaskets and bolts and all, is there any valve cover gasket kit that we can buy from the dealer or can get it anywhere else.
What are you gonna do about yours.

RIalltrac

Marlon order your valve cover gaskets from the dealer, I want to say they're only like 20 bucks or so. There are two of them so make sure you get both. Then get a tube of Toyota's high temp silicone, you need to use a little bit on certain parts of the valvecover when your installing it. I would also consider buying the replacement valve cover bolts from twosrus.com or something similar. The stock hardware is junk. After that its pretty straight forward, take off the IC, remove the plug wires, take off the throttle body & the support under it. Then its just about removing the stock bolts, once theyre off take off the cover and clean up the surface that the valve cover mounts to. Then its all about installing the new one. If you have the BGB look it up, tells you where to put the silicone and what the torque specs are. If you dont have a BGB let me know and I'll see if I can scan that page for you.

goldfish

What He said :). I actually reused my gasket when switching because i had put on a new one about a year ago. I didn't have to take off the TB, but it would make it a bit easier. If you dont take it off, you need to take off the 3/4" diameter hose under neath it.

It takes a bit of wiggling to get it off and back on. Also clean the surface of the head of the old silicone and any other debris before putting the new stuff back on. Have fun.