Show off that cage and stiffening mods

celigts

So I wanna have a hatch area cage put in over the winter so I'll start early and see what others have done in terms or material placement and application it was all used for.

Currently have a rear strut bar. That's about it for extra stiffening. So what do you have?

Gary ST165

not my car: http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1255979

nnl5xt.jpg

Insanity-74

Doing a similar thing into my Faff.......got some T45 tube bent to shape....test fit of the main hoop

Photo0249.jpg

and preparing the rear suspension towers for the reinforcing plates and ultimately the roll cage attachment points

Photo0259.jpg

celigts

Well mafix do it up!!

What are some weak points to start with.? Anything with center bracing or would a full cage be what you want?

Mafix

it's hard to tell what made more of a difference. i put the cage (bolt in) and the frame connectors (welded in) in at the same time. i'm more inclined to say the cage, while my sideskirts argue that the frame connectors are better. we do have different chassis' but this isn't much different between them.
front strut brace modded:
fstrutbrace.jpg

there rear brace i have no idea what it's actually for. i just knew some guys in an import store. walked in the back and grabbed like 20 different ones. nuespeed for a neon i think? ??

celigts

What size material did you weld onto the side skirt runners? Also mafix did you install the cage yourself cuz I'd like to do this also. If not then what material did you use? Is steel the only option of so what gauge is suggested and diameter.

The way to set the pipes on the body would be to weld a plate first then weld the pipe to the plate correct. Sounds like the most effective and strongest way for it to be secured.

underscore

You can buy bracing that runs down the sides of the chassis for the 185, tho I'm not sure how strong that is vs what Mafix posted.

Also I do believe that rear bar would be from some gen of Neon, I just bought a Neon rear bar but I'll have to check the years.

Mafix

the bracing you can buy is laughable at best. my connectors are welded the entire length, 1x3 thickwall tube steel. it was fun making them, actually. best advise is to make sure the car is properly lifted prior to installation. (put your car on a lift and measure the door gap prior to lifting. lift it. measure the door gap. be amazed at the chassis flex)

the roll bar i have it literally bolt in. and i see no need at all to weld it in. it uses a double plate. so that's plate-floor-plate. it's not moving anywhere. i do want to add several areas to the cage for hill climbs but that will add more weight which is bad for autox. decisions decisions.

celigts

That's a sick cage! Is there something to follow for making cages? Mafix you said you use 3" tube with 1" wall? And just regular steel tubing?

Any guidelines for the cage to be autoX ready. My local forum has it once a month or so. Maybe next year I'll have the car ready to jump in.

celigts

K so mafix you really have 1" thick by 3" wide for along the rockers? And steel right. Cuz I'm gonna order some from work or if we have I'll be grabbing some to place them on the car. Please elaborate for me what you did if it's as easy as welding them on.

Also have a question for the cages. I have found a tig welder to do work for me and am needing some insight on wether to go for chromoly aluminum and have the cage bolted in or have it in a steel and welded in.

Insanity-74

I dont quite know what chromoly aluminium is? but aluminium cages are now banned by most if not all motorsport regulating bodies, but I can see the appeal being light, I nearly went down that route myself......there are two "usual" choices for steel cages, CDS tubing which is Cold drawn seamless mild steel tube, of the lighter but more expensive T45 chromoly tubing, still steel but stronger and lighter.....it welds very nicely too.

celigts

Oh well maybe that's the chromoly I was thinking of. I'll pass the steels to my guy and so excited to follow up and have something started.

Any good reference sites to see for our cars that have been done.