Ontario speeding crackdown

ST165-2765

I've seen alot of speed traps out within the last week and heard some pretty humerous reports on the radio of cops up in trees and I've seen 2 or 3 cops all in a row with 3 cars getting tickets

So watch out in Ontario, I've seen both the Ottawa police in Ottawa and more prevelant is the OPP on the highways. I have gone by them at 110 when the limit was 90 and they didn't come after me and I have gone by them at 120 when the limit was 100 and they didn't come after me so I think their having some sort of blitz before this new streat racing law comes into effect.

So don't go crazy on the gas pedal for a while and you may save yourself a few hundred bucks.

evo

It's already in effect as I understand

50 over the limit, and they can seize your vehicle, and suspend your license. There are signs all over the 401 reminding you :shrug:

annoying, because the flow of traffic on the 401 fast lane is pretty near 150km/h depending on time of day so be careful out there! :twisted:

hacker_720

Thank you! no one else gets it, I tell them 150km/h = $2000.00 fine minimum is stupid and they look and me and say "your crazy 150 is way to fast!" No!!!!!! 140 is normal speed. 150 at 6am is normal as well. I commute 120km to work, and 150 is hard not to hit, especially on the 407, where now, NO ONE is in the fast lane.

I have seen about 10 speed traps this week alone. It’s just a big money grab and a bunch of bullshit. The cops wont touch you at 139km/h, at 141km/h you will get a ticket, and at 150km/h you get your car impounded for 7 days, a license suspension for 7 days and a min of $2000.00 dollar fine, with a max of $10 000, oh ya, and a “racing” ticket even if you are by yourself.

CryoGoblin

i new about all the impounding but i didnt know the fine is 2k :S, jeez...its pretty much like the same bs when couple years ago they cracked down on everyone who was driving with a cell phone lol, just stick to the speed limit, i know its hard on those open highways lol, but you must resist :p

incubus_boader

Here's the new law edited for readibility sourced from http://www.realtimeperformance.ca/forum ... hp?t=16444.

the full version can be sourced from e-laws.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK243

Racing, stunts, etc., prohibited
172. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in a race or contest, while performing a stunt or on a bet or wager. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.
Offence
(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her driver's licence may be suspended,
(a) on a first conviction under this section, for not more than two years; or
(b) on a subsequent conviction under this section, for not more than 10 years. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.
Police to require surrender of licence, detention of vehicle
(5) Where a police officer believes on reasonable and probable grounds that a person is driving, or has driven, a motor vehicle on a highway in contravention of subsection (1), the officer shall,
(a) request that the person surrender his or her driver's licence; and
(b) detain the motor vehicle that was being driven by the person until it is impounded under clause (7) (b). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Administrative seven-day licence suspension
(6) Upon a request being made under clause (5) (a), the person to whom the request is made shall forthwith surrender his or her driver's licence to the police officer and, whether or not the person is unable or fails to surrender the licence to the police officer, his or her driver's licence is suspended for a period of seven days from the time the request is made. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Administrative seven-day vehicle impoundment
(7) Upon a motor vehicle being detained under clause (5) (b), the motor vehicle shall, at the cost of and risk to its owner,
(a) be removed to an impound facility as directed by a police officer; and
(b) be impounded for seven days from the time it was detained under clause
Definition of STUNT DRIVING
Few interesting sections, for the stunt driving!!
3 (2) wheelies on a MC
3 (6) Driving while not in the driver’s seat (postal deliveries?)
3 (7) 50km above limit
8 (iv) turn left on a solid green
Ontario Regulation 455/07
Definition, "stunt"
3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, "stunt" includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

4. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.

5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.

6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver's seat.

7. Driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit.

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver's sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or

iv. making a left turn where,

(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;

(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and

(C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3

hacker_720

that's a good read, thanks

"the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle"

- I've done this so many times, I didn't know it was that bad.

CryoGoblin

thats crazy man, any of those traffic acts violated its a $2000 fine? if thats the case thats insane....and imprisonment? wow just wow...were taking bad simple driving habits into something far more worse....

GT4RC

incubus_boader":1dbu9slw said:
5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.
What if they are dead?

incubus_boader":1dbu9slw said:
6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver's seat.
Ghost ride it!

incubus_boader

oh and nitrous is now illegal unless it is in plain site and the bottle is obviously disconnected. not that I have nitrous, but I know it used to be perfectly legal.

incubus_boader

sourced from e laws http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK244
edited for readibility

Nitrous oxide fuel systems prohibited

172.1 (1) No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle manufactured or modified after its manufacture such that nitrous oxide may be delivered into the fuel mixture unless,

(a) the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide can be clearly seen by looking at the interior or exterior of the motor vehicle;

(b) there is no canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel connected to that part; and

(c) if the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide is located inside the passenger compartment, there is no canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide in the passenger compartment. 2007, c. 13, s. 22.

Offence

(3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2007, c. 13, s. 22.

evo

Just spoke to a cop that works out of Peel, says they're not giving out tickets for the time being, 'Work to rule' is in effect

st185rc

I passed a dude in an s2k pulled over by a cop on the side of highway 1. i didn't think much of it, but 5 minutes later, i see the same s2k whizzing by me and 30 seconds later a cop blew by me and caught him again.

incubus_boader

evo":1z912wls said:
Just spoke to a cop that works out of Peel, says they're not giving out tickets for the time being, 'Work to rule' is in effect

hmm... I've heard from lots of sources that they have already given out 300 tickets since the new law went into effect.

Stubble

3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

So, I can fishtail around corners in my alltrac in the snow because I am in complete control over it? Would I have to prove it to a court that I could execute the same maneouver repeatedly? Would the judge want to stand outside in the cold and watch me?