Immobilizer

Postby deceit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:48 pm

its actually free, i jus dont want to get it installed cuz its a hassle and a waste of time..
it may also complicate things with my car..

not too sure if theres a toyota one..
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
92 - GTS .rip.
91 - GTS .sold.
91 - ST185RC
deceit
Club Member

Postby Stubble » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:16 am

I got the letter from MPI (insurance co.) last summer, informing me my Celica needed an immobilizer. I just about blew a gasket because my car had been immobilized from an exhaust valve failure for 3 months. If some punk ass kid wants to come and steal my car by rebuilding and installing my engine for me, I'd pay his fetal alcohol syndrome ass to do it. :x :shoots: I was extra pissed because they said I had to have the immobilizer installed before I registered it, even though it was on lay-up coverage.

Rant over. I called and they explained that I could insure it if I had an appointment to get the immobilizer installed. No need to tow it to the shop.

I went with Waverly Mitsubishi. They were fine, no problems, and I'm going on 3 months with the immobilizer. I haven't crawled around the engine bay to see how professional the wiring was done though. But, the car starts with the RF chip present, it doens't start without it, and everything else still works on the car. Plus, I got to stare at the red Cayman they have in the dealership while I was waiting to pick it up.
Brady Ryall
1990 ST185 Red - parts
1990 ST185 Black
1999 Miata
2008 A3 Quattro S-line
Stubble
Established Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 pm

deceit wrote:its actually free, i jus dont want to get it installed cuz its a hassle and a waste of time..
it may also complicate things with my car......

Any update? Did you get the immobilizer installed?
If it's free, I'd get it. Out here, we have to pay $200 for an immobilizer :(
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby deceit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:58 pm

nope not yet, dunno if i will. dont want any future complications or anyone i dont ko driving my car.. haha
92 - GTS .rip.
91 - GTS .sold.
91 - ST185RC
deceit
Club Member

Postby Stubble » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:15 am

I don't think you have much choice in the matter.

If you're worried about them driving it, get them to write down the odo when you check it in, and explain to them that you do not authorize anyone to drive it except into and out of the shop.
Brady Ryall
1990 ST185 Red - parts
1990 ST185 Black
1999 Miata
2008 A3 Quattro S-line
Stubble
Established Member

Previous

Return to Canada