CANADIAN OWNERS WITH A ST185 GT FOUR RC RHD

Postby Corey » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:23 pm

I guess I have no idea, and don't really trust how well fuel octane levels are monitored before it's shipped to the station.

I heard that for Chevron, they are shipped 87 octane, and the additive is mixed in apon delivery.

Other than the way the fuels are rated, i don't see why our fuel would have "Better" octane than Japanese or EU fuel. octane is octane.

:shrug:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby windex » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Something you all should know is that Octane 94 from Petro-Canada, is mixed with Ethanol. Easy.

But Ethanol has a smaller energy/volume ratio than normal gazoline.

So, with a certain amount of gazoline, you get a X amount a energy. On the other hand, with the same amount of gazoline/ethanol mixed, you get a 0,7X amount (so a smaller) of energy.

In real life, it means more gaz to do the same distance. I noticed it on my Gt-Four. With a tank full of 94, my highest KMs with 55l was around 400-425. With 91, I can do up to 450-475 and even 500km if I drive it gently.

One other usefull thing to know:

Today's gaz pump use a common gaz line and ''counter'' for all the 3 (or 4) differents types of gaz. This means that you might get up to 5L of ''dirty'' gaz when you start fueling your car.

Knowing this, it is recommanded to add at least 15L when fueling you cars! Otherwise, you get to pay for 91/94 octane, but you don't have 100% pure 91/94 octane gazoline.

8)
Frenchy Canadian
windex
Club Member

Postby Corey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:26 pm

That's why I fuel at chevron, and chevron ONLY. Kinda a pain in the ass. but its worth it i hope.

Has a separate nozzle and line for 94 octane, and it's mixed with Toluene, not ethanol to get its octane. Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon, with a PON of 114 oct.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby TomsGT4 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 am

Sure, that's the same as Sunoco here in Ontario with 94 octane. Image --visual note for those coming to Ontario :)
They have a pump for 94 separate from the others, which is why the 1st 5 liters wouldn't be from a common line (if that's what's actually being done).

But again, not sure if I trust who actually measures the octane level as the gas is being shipped. Who is to say that it is all on-par? Is there some online "records" book that we can access for amounts/ppm content of gas shipped to each station? lol, no.

Basically, is it 92 octane just because it says so on the pump?
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"

Postby Corey » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 am

I doubt the station attendants test the fuel in anyway.

When I worked at the airport fuel station, we had to test it every morning. And before accepting any new loads.

I really want to take an empty jar to one of these gas stations one day and do a "clear and bright" to see just how good the stuff is. I would not be surprised if i found at least a little dirt :shoots: No excuse in my books.

I'd love to hear the attendants explanation if i did find something lol. Maybe id get free gas lol
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Previous

Return to Canada