CANADIAN OWNERS WITH A ST185 GT FOUR RC RHD

I live in alberta and am wondering what kind of fuel you run with it. I guess its supposed to be run with 96 octane but that is not available here of course. Just wondering what octane you run it on and if you add anything to the fuel.

Corey

As I've been told numerous times, and have finally shown for my self, our JDM cars will run on 94 octane just fine even at 12 psi.

You can likely get away with the 93 octane that is local to you on anything less than 12 psi.

Of coarse that isn't to say it wont like 96 ;)

I run 91 octane from Petro can and its fine. I've used 94 octane from husky and its fine too. I haven't noticed a difference but my boost is stock right now.

~CDUB~

In my shitty ass town the highest availale is 91 octane (or 92 with ethanol blend from mohawk) ive been running shell 91 for 60,000km so far and havent had any issues at all.

ChrisD

Yes remember that Jap fuel is not on the same scale as ours (RON/PON).

It would be preferable to run 94 if you can. Failing that, use as high as possible. Just keep an eye out for knock response. If you feel *any* at all....stuttering, hesitation, etc., take it extremely easy until you can get better gas or resolve the situation. An alternative would be to install something like water injection to help out.

TimmyD

I run 91 all the time. That is the highest here and I don't have any issues running 12psi all the time regulated with a ball and spring MBC (at least that is what my gauge reads). In the winter no problems and in the summer I put in some octane boost with every tank when its really hot out or for an AutoX.

windex

In Montreal, the only 94 we can get is from Petro-Canada and is blended with Ethanol...so I stay away from it!

I go with 91 from Shell or Ultramar ...And I take it easy in big heat days!

athousandleaves

The stock 3S-GTE only needs octane number 91 as specified in the manual, however running higher octane is recommended.

I use the highest grade I can get (usually 94) and my car idles really smoothly.

Corey

Does it say the same in the JDM manual?

I have one, but can't read it lol.

we are talking about the import models. otherwise, ya, usdm/cdm call for 91

TomsGT4

I've always wondered if the 94 pump gas, say in Alberta, is of the same quality is the 94 pump gas in Ontario.
Maybe the 91 is high quality in one place, & 94 is of lower quality somewhere else, so they really both perform close to the same?

I guess I have no idea, and don't really trust how well fuel octane levels are monitored before it's shipped to the station.

Maybe 91 octane gas is as good here as the high quality stuff in Japan?

Corey

I guess I have no idea, and don't really trust how well fuel octane levels are monitored before it's shipped to the station.

I heard that for Chevron, they are shipped 87 octane, and the additive is mixed in apon delivery.

Other than the way the fuels are rated, i don't see why our fuel would have "Better" octane than Japanese or EU fuel. octane is octane.

:shrug:

windex

Something you all should know is that Octane 94 from Petro-Canada, is mixed with Ethanol. Easy.

But Ethanol has a smaller energy/volume ratio than normal gazoline.

So, with a certain amount of gazoline, you get a X amount a energy. On the other hand, with the same amount of gazoline/ethanol mixed, you get a 0,7X amount (so a smaller) of energy.

In real life, it means more gaz to do the same distance. I noticed it on my Gt-Four. With a tank full of 94, my highest KMs with 55l was around 400-425. With 91, I can do up to 450-475 and even 500km if I drive it gently.

One other usefull thing to know:

Today's gaz pump use a common gaz line and ''counter'' for all the 3 (or 4) differents types of gaz. This means that you might get up to 5L of ''dirty'' gaz when you start fueling your car.

Knowing this, it is recommanded to add at least 15L when fueling you cars! Otherwise, you get to pay for 91/94 octane, but you don't have 100% pure 91/94 octane gazoline.

8)

Corey

That's why I fuel at chevron, and chevron ONLY. Kinda a pain in the ass. but its worth it i hope.

Has a separate nozzle and line for 94 octane, and it's mixed with Toluene, not ethanol to get its octane. Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon, with a PON of 114 oct.

TomsGT4

Sure, that's the same as Sunoco here in Ontario with 94 octane.
snoye8.jpg
--visual note for those coming to Ontario :)
They have a pump for 94 separate from the others, which is why the 1st 5 liters wouldn't be from a common line (if that's what's actually being done).

But again, not sure if I trust who actually measures the octane level as the gas is being shipped. Who is to say that it is all on-par? Is there some online "records" book that we can access for amounts/ppm content of gas shipped to each station? lol, no.

Basically, is it 92 octane just because it says so on the pump?

Corey

I doubt the station attendants test the fuel in anyway.

When I worked at the airport fuel station, we had to test it every morning. And before accepting any new loads.

I really want to take an empty jar to one of these gas stations one day and do a "clear and bright" to see just how good the stuff is. I would not be surprised if i found at least a little dirt :shoots: No excuse in my books.

I'd love to hear the attendants explanation if i did find something lol. Maybe id get free gas lol