Modified Cars and Insurance

DudeMan

I've been wondering about this lately.

I plan on having my Four put out hopefully over 300WHP. Do I have tell my insurance company that I modified the car, and that its much faster than stock?

I really have no idea how this works as I haven't done this before. I noticed on insurance inspection forms it asks if the vehicle has been modified for performance.

If anyone, particularly from Alberta, could shed some light on this it would be appreciated. :D

makenzie71

I don't know how it works with eskimo insurance but in the States you don't HAVE to disclose modifications unless you want them covered under your insurance. There's a lot of times where it's self defeating, though, because the factory equivelant cost more than the replacement. One such situation that I can think of is with replacing the headlights on an E36 BMW...if you put in genuine ZKW housings (about $750) and get into a wreck, unless you've disclosed the modification and are paying for it to be insured they'll only cut you a check for the cheaper BMW replacement. Also situations like with a turbocharged Civic. If you wreck the car and destroy your turbocharger, intercooler, BOV, and exhaust...they won't pay for any of it unless it was disclosed and you are paying for it.

klue

basically everything you said is right.
If you dont tell them, you dont pay extra,
but then they only replace the stock parts.

By law if they ask you if the car is modified and you lie, then then dont have to cover shit. But I just say that i dont know it parsed safety and etest thats that haha.

redGT4

Shop around. We have performance vehicle insurers here in oz with loads of options (excess, driver age, mods, daily or weekender or track special etc).

But basically if you don't declare it then its not covered and if it is a defectable mod then your f**ked if you have a crash (wheel spacers for one, here in oz), they'll sue you every time.