Car caught fire, RIP gtfour

st185rc

Some news came out of this, the scrap yard can't spray off any of the fire extinguisher material so that's not good at all. They leave it all for ICBC. ICBC adjuster called me and let me know that no one else can buy the car except for me. Once it goes through insurance it will be auctioned off. Really at this point, I'm not going to buy it back to sell it and rather just not have to deal with it. Sorry Underscore, you'll have to go through their auction if you want anything off the car. At this point I'm not even going to take the CD play out as it will devalue the car. At least ICBC will have an appraiser who will value the car. Knowing ICBC, I'll get screwed. Not too many RCs around that I can get a market value for anymore. *Sigh* These are trying times......

underscore

Ah damn okay, did they at least say how much it would cost for you to buy it back from them? I was really hoping to avoid the auction so I could avoid the post-rebuild inspection but I can understand you not wanting to reopen the wounds too much. I've got a friend who buys wrecked cars all the time, I'll see if he can help me get it from the auction.

st185rc

They didn't say how much the buy back value is but they appraised the car to be worth 4740 prior to the incident. I don't thnk it's fair given the rarity of the vehicle, but at the same time there isn't anything that i can think of that warrants more money. There's another claim that I'm waiting for that ICBC just called me back for this morning. Damn, the midpipe i bought on the car and the exhaust and labour is worth more than a quarter of the car it's valued to be. I'm gonna dig up the invoice for the midpipe if i can still find it.

underscore

Yeah grab any invoices and bills you can find for the car, I'm pretty sure they treat the RC the same as any Alltrac, which they barely rank above a GT-S

88gt4DE

Dewd , this sucks big time .... I know its alot of work but you can totally get her back to life. If you check out Lamonts project thread his was all the way into the interior and that car was at our last meet and I'm fairly certain is now in paint. I know alot of time and money but you have something to work with at least. :smokes: Keep us updated on the project ....

4rsnduction

st185rc":3qnojvl9 said:
They didn't say how much the buy back value is but they appraised the car to be worth 4740 prior to the incident.

Don't you guys have "Agreed value" on your insurance policy ?

underscore

^ not here, they don't tell us til it's wrecked.

88gt4DE":67pps9pt said:
Dewd , this sucks big time .... I know its alot of work but you can totally get her back to life. If you check out Lamonts project thread his was all the way into the interior and that car was at our last meet and I'm fairly certain is now in paint. I know alot of time and money but you have something to work with at least. :smokes: Keep us updated on the project ....

thats what I wanted to do, buy an RC halfcut and there will be everything needed.

underscore

turns out I can't buy the car from ICBC, you have to be a registered buyer by being a rebuild shop or wrecker :cry:

st185rc

shit, sorry Underscore. I wish I really had the time and patience to deal with ICBC. Their service is the worst and implying that I'm a liar about a rear ender 2 days prior to the car fire pissed me off to the point where i had a nose bleed. My blood was boiling. ICBC is a S*$# load of F!&@$(@. Pardon my language.

underscore

st185rc":26x0btof said:
shit, sorry Underscore. I wish I really had the time and patience to deal with ICBC. Their service is the worst and implying that I'm a liar about a rear ender 2 days prior to the car fire pissed me off to the point where i had a nose bleed. My blood was boiling. ICBC is a S*$# load of F!&@$(@. Pardon my language.

so tell them to get bent, take your car back and sell it to me. If I can rebuild it, I'll sell it back to you for exactly the cost I have into it for parts, no labour or anything like that.

Lamont

88gt4DE":3eq14kdl said:

Not quite painted yet Rob, but it's coming along. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33578

st185rc it can be saved trust me. Also if you don't want to deal with the hassle of restoring it broker a deal with underscore, he will pay what it costs to buy the car back from the insurance company. I would just hate to see this car sent to the scrap yard knowing that it could be saved. Please think it over take a look at my project thread and maybe that will give you a little insperation. The previous owner of my current car thought it was impossible too, and so did everyone else for that matter when I first started work on bringing my Phoenix back to life. I'm still proving them wrong :wink: :wink:

st185rc

Sorry guys, I just don't have the means to buy the car back and go through the hassle of getting it towed around. I appreciate everyone's gesture to help but I don't have the space to keep the vehicle and there is no certainty as to the cost and time I would have to invest to bring it one back from the dead.

I just have to let this go. underscore, sorry bud. I'd rather ICBC be out the money than you. I don't know how to price this thing and I don't want to mean any disrespect by naming my price higher than it's worth. Hard to explain but it's like selling something to a good friend but if things don't go well, I'd rather not have the transaction sour the friendship. I've had something similar happen when I sold my old car to a friend and he never really got over some of the issues. So I usually don't do any business transactions with friends any more unless it's with things that are easily valuated or brand new.

underscore

I can understand where you're coming from, I hate selling things to friends or doing anything involving money with them. I know exactly what I'd be getting into though, my current RC started out basically the same (needing at least an entire motor, or so I thought) and I'm into it for more than a running RC would have been but I honestly don't care because I saved it from the scrappers. As far as towing I could try to pick it up straight from ICBCs lot next weekend, and as far as money I could give you what ICBC is offering you if that seems fair, that way if for whatever reason I am unable to salvage the car you're not out any money and the car had a chance at a better fate.

boost_creep

would you happen to be able to salvage the oem floor mats if you still had them! sorry for the lost man, i know how it feels to loose you car that you put so many hours in, so much money in, so many tears, and so much love. the feeling of seeing it leave on the tow truck was the worst for me but couldnt be worst than having that moron talking on the cell phone and seeing the lights go up and blink! let me know about those floor mats!