Car caught fire, RIP gtfour

st185rc

No april fools joke, my car caught fire at horseshoe bay terminal and what an embarassing scene. Was just driving along the highway and something went. I was going at 90 kph when it happened then i just heard a splush sound and things went sour. Pretty heart broken... The hood release latch stop working and the firemen had to pry it open like a tuna can to put out the flames. It was heart wrenching.. There's probably no way that this is not a write off. And at this point salvaging it probably wouldnt be an option. This is definitely not a good weekend. What's worse is that my car was rear ended on friday as well leaving two nice license plat bolt dents in the back. Maybe this weekend wasnt a good weekend to drive the car at all. If only i left her at home. I just had it serviced 3 weeks ago and put in a full tank of gas. The only bright side is that i am out and alive and didnt burn with the car. I have pics but they are on my iphone and i am too heart broken to post them. I miss this car dearly....

Awesome-Trac

I'm really sorry to hear your lose, we all cherish these cars like family and to see one disappear off the streets sucks. Hopefully things will get better but overall it's good to hear your alive and well

4rsnduction

st185rc":2qqoz38j said:
The only bright side is that i am out and alive and didnt burn with the car.
This is a good thing....unfortunately it never helps ease the pain :(
I morn the loss of your GT4 :cry:

st185rc

It doesnt look that bad from the pics, but then engine bay is definitely toast. The insulation kept the hood from being charred. The ferry terminal emptied 4 full fire extinguishers before the fire station got to the car to put out all the flames. Sigh. My heart is at its lowest. The most saddening part is as it was on fire the head lights came up and the bulbs were flickering as if the car was begging to save its life. This feeling is akin to breaking up with my ex which im not 100% over. My god what a day. It drew a crowd and some idiot talking on his cellphone on a bicycle rode by me and say wooooo theres a car fire you should see this. I wanted to yhrow a damn stick into his spoke and have his teeth knocked out on the concrete

tubasteve

Just wow.....I have typed so much, but can't imagine what happened. I had a bad week once too.

I pray it gets better for you too.
-jr

Edited 50k times for loss of words.

underscore

Oh man that sucks, it looks like the fire was semi-contained to the engine bay, hopefully you can save it with a half-cut from Japan?

gt4play

st185rc":1o6j326b said:
The most saddening part is as it was on fire the head lights came up and the bulbs were flickering as if the car was begging to save its life.
Sheezus, you've just about broken my heart with this line alone!

The pics are bit hard to see, but it definitely looks like it could have been a hell of a lot worse. You're a lucky man, all things considering. It may be too soon to know at this point, but do you see yourself doing an insurance buy-back and getting 'er back on the road?

Hope for the best!

st185rc

The prospect of getting this thing back on the road is a bit tough. Although I miss her, the hardship of putting it back together is deeper than my pockets go. Unfortunately I'd only be throwing more money into the car that was pretty hard to upkeep as it is. Well, I have brand new front and rear main seals that were going in when it gets warmer, but those are obviously of no use to me now. I guess I'll have to figure it out when the insurance company finally calls me back.

I've done the best that I can with regularly scheduled maintenance and anything that was an issue wasn't an issue for very long as they've all been taken care of. The engine didn't blow and was still got me to help. But anymore money being put into the car seems fruitless as things keep going wrong. I know this isn't what the community wants to hear but I've officially tossed in the towel and will have to move on.

temperacerguy

I understand your situation and am sorry for your loss.

There is tons salvagable on that car however... I recomend you buy the salvage back from the insurance (if there was full coverage), and part it out. There are many many valuable parts on that car. There are vultures on here who would buy many of the RC/CS parts on that car.

tubasteve

Like he said, deep pockets. If you have any plans of keeping it/anything from it, you need to get the stuff they put the fire out with off the car stat.
-jr

athousandleaves

:cry:

non mobile versions of pics...
photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Definately makes me want an emergency fuel pump shutoff and fire extinguisher system installed yesterday.

underscore

temperacerguy":2lt0jwsr said:
There are vultures on here who would buy many of the RC/CS parts on that car.

I would buy a lot of parts, and I'm fairly local, but only if it can't be saved. I'd love to bring it back from the dead myself, but I'm still trying to do that with my first RC.

st185rc

I'll ask the insurer what can be done in terms of getting it to someone who wants it here on the board. Just supply me with a name and contact info and I'll arrange something. But i have neither the space nor time to put into taking the parts off myself and the amount of labour to get everything off and parted out is a bit too much for even me and a couple of friends to handle. I still have some brand new parts to sell though.

The cat that came with my 3" midpipe from forged performance might get me a few dollars at a recycler but i'd rather have it go to the community. If anyone meeds front or rear seals i got those.

Corey

Some parts that come to mind which would be easy enough to remove and sell would be:

Tail lights - those are worth a couple hundred
Folding mirrors - a few bolts and those come off.
RC fogs - hopefully they weren't damaged.
Interior bits - In particular your MOMO steering wheel and shifter $$