Car caught fire, RIP gtfour

Candy_GTFOUR

I just came back from the garage where I'm putting my JDM GT-FOUR's engine into pieces and replacing and fixing everything. I was going to look for reference points from people for this whole project... but this is just so sad... I cant imagine losing my Candy... I've invested so much money so far to bring her back to life after her last owner... My heart goes out to you this is no easy moment to live through. If I could I'd help to bring her back from the dead for you. I can look out for a JDM engine and transmission out here. Sadly I sold my spare engine and transmission 2 years ago... i would have sold it to you for 1200 wire harness included. Tell me if I could help ya out I know I'm a canadian based member but I could try to drive an engine and transmission down to the US. :)

toayoztan

Man, that's unfortunate what happened to your car!

I'm really curious what the damage is under the engine bay.

I understand what you mean with the jaws of life on the hood :|

Bryan

Droptop93

Sorry to see this.

If you get it back I would purchase the hood ornaments. And rc fog lights/brackets from you....

pintoBC_3sgte

here are some pics of your gt-4 from the 08 summer celicagarage meet.

img_0517.jpg

img_0522.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

RIP

st185rc

Those pictures bring a smile to my face seeing the twins together. It still shined the day i lost her until they dumped the fire retardant sand and sprayed it to death. Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot. I won't be able to restore her but I've got a few pms about taking the remains. I'd rather just leave it as a whole. I can't bear to see her being torn apart so the more complete the car goes the more peace of mind I'll have. It's too soon to say if I'll get another one really, it's only been a day since I left the car fire. It was a labour of love and I would have had no problem keeping her to the end. It never saw the dirt it was bred to tear up and never had it tracked to let her run to her potential. I might take the deck out that's after market since i still want my cd. I love this commmunity and i said it in a pm but I feel you all should know I love you guys (no homo unless you guys wanna). Gotta joke even in these depressing times :)

amx

Nooo! :cry:

When I saw the title of this thread, I felt physically sick. My 185 caught fire last July, and I'm still not completely over it so I totally feel for you. Standing there watching your car burn and being helpless to do anything about it is a horrible feeling. :( I'm so sorry this happened, but glad you made it out safe.

Your car is salvageable, but the damage to the engine alone will be enough for insurance to total it. I don't think anyone will blame you for walking away -- fire rebuilds don't tend to be fun or cheap, and the cleanup alone can be daunting. Your car's actually in much better shape than mine was, but still looks like a big project. Was the fire confined to the engine bay? It's hard to see from the photos, but there appears to be damage to the glass. If the flames (or even just the heat) got through the firewall and into the dash, things get a lot worse real quickly.

Seconding what someone else mentioned...if they sprayed your car with the dry chemical stuff, get that cleaned off ASAP. It'll destroy a lot of parts that might otherwise be salvageable, and make things a lot worse for whoever decides to pick this up and rebuild it.

Really sorry to see this dude, and best of luck to you. She was a beautiful car. :(

Candy_GTFOUR

I know it is a very hard moment but I would like to know if anyone knows what would cause a 3sgte to burst into flames? I fear for my GT-FOUR now... I'm $15,000 into the rebuild and I don't wanna lose her... Can anyone give me some insight?

tubasteve

Leading oil lines, plus red hot turbo.

That power steering leak you need to fix hitting the exhaust.

Any fuel leaks.

Extreme exhaust restriction super heating cat.

The lamest I've herd.

"i parked my car at a grass feild and the cat was that hot....."

Anyway, basic leaks can cause this.

I hate seeing this thread pop up. I'm getting nightmares and unrest. It his Me like losing a family member

-jr

athousandleaves

Candy_GTFOUR":3fb7gqan said:
I know it is a very hard moment but I would like to know if anyone knows what would cause a 3sgte to burst into flames? I fear for my GT-FOUR now... I'm $15,000 into the rebuild and I don't wanna lose her... Can anyone give me some insight?

I think that would make for a valuable sticky somewhere on the forum "How to fire proof your car"

st185rc

I might also be an electrical problem as well. My neighbor has a rat problem and i found rat droppings in my rav 4 that i park in the front of my place, chewed up some wires and caused some engine problems which have been fixed. The gt-four was parked in front once in a while but was in my garage which might have had rats chew through some wires. The rear ender that happened to me two days before the fire might have been the catalyst to loosening something.

Street_Chally73

That certainly sucks, but at least you weren't injured during the whole process! :wink: It most definitely bites having this happen to such a beautiful car & I can only imagine what it must feel like to have had this happen. :( I added two fire extinguishers to my car just in case anything like this were to ever happen to me, but hopefully I'll never have to pull the pin to find out if I can contain it in time. :|

underscore

st185rc":25lc8x2q said:
Those pictures bring a smile to my face seeing the twins together. It still shined the day i lost her until they dumped the fire retardant sand and sprayed it to death. Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot. I won't be able to restore her but I've got a few pms about taking the remains. I'd rather just leave it as a whole. I can't bear to see her being torn apart so the more complete the car goes the more peace of mind I'll have. It's too soon to say if I'll get another one really, it's only been a day since I left the car fire. It was a labour of love and I would have had no problem keeping her to the end. It never saw the dirt it was bred to tear up and never had it tracked to let her run to her potential. I might take the deck out that's after market since i still want my cd. I love this commmunity and i said it in a pm but I feel you all should know I love you guys (no homo unless you guys wanna). Gotta joke even in these depressing times :)

Not sure if you got my PM, but I'll take it complete, and send you back anything you want from it if your insurance doesn't let you remove anything beforehand.

sMARTINside

Keep up. It's always hard to think that someone lost his GT-FOUR in a fire. They are so rare, this just can't happen! This leaves me empty and full of doubt. Did you have an extinguisher in the car? I always have one on board, but I don't know if I could save the car with this if fire would catch...

st185rc

underscore":36vvr67g said:
st185rc":36vvr67g said:

Not sure if you got my PM, but I'll take it complete, and send you back anything you want from it if your insurance doesn't let you remove anything beforehand.

Hey man, yeah i got your message. I've yet to hear from ICBC but I will definitely ask them if i can move the car to your buddy's lot.

underscore

st185rc":3pptdar6 said:
underscore":3pptdar6 said:
st185rc":3pptdar6 said:

Hey man, yeah i got your message. I've yet to hear from ICBC but I will definitely ask them if i can move the car to your buddy's lot.

Ok cool, keep me posted. Does ICBC have the car right now, or do you?

underscore

Ah ok, if you talk to them at all see if they can try to hose off the extinguisher stuff a bit, if they haven't already.