Re: Car caught fire, RIP gtfour

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:09 pm

sucks bro
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 pm

:cry:

non mobile versions of pics...

Definately makes me want an emergency fuel pump shutoff and fire extinguisher system installed yesterday.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:30 pm

temperacerguy wrote:There are vultures on here who would buy many of the RC/CS parts on that car.

I would buy a lot of parts, and I'm fairly local, but only if it can't be saved. I'd love to bring it back from the dead myself, but I'm still trying to do that with my first RC.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 am

I'll ask the insurer what can be done in terms of getting it to someone who wants it here on the board. Just supply me with a name and contact info and I'll arrange something. But i have neither the space nor time to put into taking the parts off myself and the amount of labour to get everything off and parted out is a bit too much for even me and a couple of friends to handle. I still have some brand new parts to sell though.

The cat that came with my 3" midpipe from forged performance might get me a few dollars at a recycler but i'd rather have it go to the community. If anyone meeds front or rear seals i got those.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:28 am

Some parts that come to mind which would be easy enough to remove and sell would be:

Tail lights - those are worth a couple hundred
Folding mirrors - a few bolts and those come off.
RC fogs - hopefully they weren't damaged.
Interior bits - In particular your MOMO steering wheel and shifter $$

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 am

take some pics of the engine bay first, I'm still not past trying to save it ahha

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 am

I just came back from the garage where I'm putting my JDM GT-FOUR's engine into pieces and replacing and fixing everything. I was going to look for reference points from people for this whole project... but this is just so sad... I cant imagine losing my Candy... I've invested so much money so far to bring her back to life after her last owner... My heart goes out to you this is no easy moment to live through. If I could I'd help to bring her back from the dead for you. I can look out for a JDM engine and transmission out here. Sadly I sold my spare engine and transmission 2 years ago... i would have sold it to you for 1200 wire harness included. Tell me if I could help ya out I know I'm a canadian based member but I could try to drive an engine and transmission down to the US. :)

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:02 am

Man, that's unfortunate what happened to your car!

I'm really curious what the damage is under the engine bay.

I understand what you mean with the jaws of life on the hood :|

Bryan

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:37 am

Sorry to see this.

If you get it back I would purchase the hood ornaments. And rc fog lights/brackets from you....

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 am

:cry: Sorry to see you lose such a beautiful example of an RC. This is sad for all of us to see you go through.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am

here are some pics of your gt-4 from the 08 summer celicagarage meet.

RIP

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 am

Cringed when I saw the pictures. Sorry this happened.

-Towels

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:24 am

Those pictures bring a smile to my face seeing the twins together. It still shined the day i lost her until they dumped the fire retardant sand and sprayed it to death. Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot. I won't be able to restore her but I've got a few pms about taking the remains. I'd rather just leave it as a whole. I can't bear to see her being torn apart so the more complete the car goes the more peace of mind I'll have. It's too soon to say if I'll get another one really, it's only been a day since I left the car fire. It was a labour of love and I would have had no problem keeping her to the end. It never saw the dirt it was bred to tear up and never had it tracked to let her run to her potential. I might take the deck out that's after market since i still want my cd. I love this commmunity and i said it in a pm but I feel you all should know I love you guys (no homo unless you guys wanna). Gotta joke even in these depressing times :)

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 am

Nooo! :cry:

When I saw the title of this thread, I felt physically sick. My 185 caught fire last July, and I'm still not completely over it so I totally feel for you. Standing there watching your car burn and being helpless to do anything about it is a horrible feeling. :( I'm so sorry this happened, but glad you made it out safe.

Your car is salvageable, but the damage to the engine alone will be enough for insurance to total it. I don't think anyone will blame you for walking away -- fire rebuilds don't tend to be fun or cheap, and the cleanup alone can be daunting. Your car's actually in much better shape than mine was, but still looks like a big project. Was the fire confined to the engine bay? It's hard to see from the photos, but there appears to be damage to the glass. If the flames (or even just the heat) got through the firewall and into the dash, things get a lot worse real quickly.

Seconding what someone else mentioned...if they sprayed your car with the dry chemical stuff, get that cleaned off ASAP. It'll destroy a lot of parts that might otherwise be salvageable, and make things a lot worse for whoever decides to pick this up and rebuild it.

Really sorry to see this dude, and best of luck to you. She was a beautiful car. :(

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:02 am

I know it is a very hard moment but I would like to know if anyone knows what would cause a 3sgte to burst into flames? I fear for my GT-FOUR now... I'm $15,000 into the rebuild and I don't wanna lose her... Can anyone give me some insight?
Post a reply