Ontario Motor Vehicle Noise Emissions Standards

athousandleaves

I thought it would be good to inform everyone from Ontario as to the regulations for the noise of your exhaust system.
I've always thought that the HTA didn't actually impose a specific value as to the true db admissable on a car or motorcycles exhaust however it is covered under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations and not Section 75 of the Highway Traffic Act.

For those of you that don't feel like reading, it boils down to an allowable 84dbA outside on any motor making more than 150kw(201hp) and on all vehicles no more than 90dbA inside at the drivers position.

The noise figure is to be measured in accordance with the low speed sound emission test.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1038/section-sched6.html
Noise Emissions (Standard 1106) - last amended on 2011-12-07":1txwnlqq said:
SCHEDULE V.1
(Section 5)

[SOR/97-141, s. 4;
SOR/97-421, s. 15.]

Noise Emissions (Standard 1106)
Interpretation

1. The definitions in this section apply in this Schedule and in the documents referred to in this Schedule.

“dBA”

“dBA” means the A-weighted sound level in decibels, measured using a sound level meter or a sound data acquisition system referred to in Appendix A of Test Method 1106 — Noise Emission Tests (August 2005) that uses the values set out in Table 1 of that Appendix. (dBA)
“decibel”

“decibel” or “dB” means 20 times the logarithm to the base 10 of the ratio of the measured sound pressure relative to a reference sound pressure of 20 µPa. (décibeloudB )
“rated engine speed”

“rated engine speed” or “maximum rated engine speed” means the rotational speed of an engine in revolutions per minute (RPM) at which the maximum horsepower of the engine is attained. (régime maximal nominal, rated engine speedoumaximum rated engine speed )
“sound level”

“sound level” means the root-mean-square of the values measured in dBA that are recorded during testing conducted pursuant to this section. (niveau sonore)

SOR/2005-342, s. 6.

Exterior Sound Level

2. Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a vehicle referred to in section 4, shall be so constructed that

(a) where tested in accordance with Annex 3 to ECE Regulation No. 51, Uniform Provisions concerning the Approval of Motor Vehicles Having at Least Four Wheels with regard to Their Noise Emissions, dated March 11, 1996, excluding the requirements of paragraph 3.2 of that Annex, the vehicle conforms to section 6 of that Regulation; or

(b) where tested in accordance with

(i) section 3 of Test Method 1106 — Noise Emission Tests (August 2005), the exterior sound level does not exceed 83 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the highest average sound level recorded during the test, in the case of a bus with a GVWR of more than 4 536 kg,

(ii) SAE Recommended Practice J986, Sound Level for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (August 1994), or SAE Standard J1470, Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles (March 1992), the exterior sound level does not exceed 83 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the highest average sound level recorded during the test, in the case of a bus, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or incomplete vehicle fitted with a cab with a GVWR of more than 2 722 kg and not more than 4 536 kg, and

(iii) SAE Recommended Practice J986, Sound Level for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (August 1994), or SAE Standard J1470, Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles (March 1992), the exterior sound level does not exceed 80 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the highest average sound level recorded during the test, in the case of a passenger car regardless of its GVWR or any other vehicle with a GVWR of 2 722 kg or less.

SOR/2005-342, s. 6;
SOR/2009-318, s. 15.

3. Every motorcycle shall be so constructed that

(a) where tested in accordance with Annex 3 to ECE Regulation No. 41, Uniform Provisions concerning the Approval of Motor Cycles with regard to Noise, dated January 19, 1981, as amended September 14, 1984, excluding the requirements of paragraph 3.2 of that Annex, the exterior sound level does not exceed

(i) 77 dBA, in the case of a motorcycle with an engine displacement not exceeding 80 cm3,

(ii) 80 dBA, in the case of a motorcycle with an engine displacement exceeding 80 cm3 and not exceeding 175 cm3, and

(iii) 82 dBA, in the case of a motorcycle with an engine displacement exceeding 175 cm3; or

(b) where tested in accordance with

(i) Appendix I-2 to subparts D and E, part 205, chapter I, title 40 of the United States Code of Federal Regulations, as amended by Vol. 45, No. 252 of the Federal Register of the United States published on December 31, 1980, at pages 86727 and 86728, the exterior sound level does not exceed 70 dBA, in the case of a motorcycle with an engine displacement not exceeding 50 cm3 and a maximum attainable speed of 48 km/h on a level paved surface, and

(ii) Appendix I-1 to subparts D and E, part 205, chapter I, title 40 of the United States Code of Federal Regulations, as amended by Vol. 45, No. 252 of the Federal Register of the United States published on December 31, 1980, at pages 86726 and 86727, the exterior sound level does not exceed 80 dBA, in any other case.

SOR/2009-318, s. 16(F).

4. Every multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or incomplete vehicle fitted with a cab, with a GVWR of more than 4 536 kg, shall be constructed so that

(a) where the vehicle is tested in accordance with Annex 3 to ECE Regulation No. 51, Uniform Provisions concerning the Approval of Motor Vehicles Having at Least Four Wheels with regard to Their Noise Emissions, dated March 11, 1996, excluding the requirements of paragraph 3.2 of that Annex, the exterior sound level does not exceed

(i) 81 dBA, in the case of a vehicle with an engine that produces less than 75 kW,

(ii) 83 dBA, in the case of a vehicle with an engine that produces at least 75 kW but less than 150 kW, and

(iii) 84 dBA, in the case of a vehicle with an engine that produces 150 kW or more; or

(b) where the vehicle is tested in accordance with the low speed sound emission test procedures set out in section 205.54-1, subpart B, part 205, chapter I, title 40 of the United States Code of Federal Regulations (revised as of December 5, 1977), the exterior sound level does not exceed 80 dBA.

SOR/2002-55, s. 20;
SOR/2009-318, s. 17.

Interior Sound Level

5. Every truck or bus with a GVWR of more than 4 536 kg shall be so constructed that, where tested in accordance with section 4 of Test Method 1106 — Noise Emission Tests (August 2005), the interior sound level at the driver’s seating position does not exceed 90 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the average sound level obtained in accordance with the test.

SOR/2005-342, s. 6;
SOR/2009-318, s. 18.

Because this is a safety regulation any officer that stops you would have to give you an unsafe vehicle ticket and either remove your plates at the scene or give you 96 hours to report to an MTO inspection station with the "unsafe" items fixed.

This is my interpretation and should not be considered legal advice and I dissolve myself of any liability for your actions.

klue

good read,

doesnt specify where the measurements are taken, like a distance. Im sure if you shove the db meter in the exhaust can its louder

masco

How loud is 84 dBA?

Note the A-weighting used when they specify 'dBA', the test is particularly sensitive around 1,000 - 7,000 Hz. Attenuating your exhaust within this frequency range is important.

klue

84 DB is not that much, its probably louder than that in my car on a highway cruise. keep in mind dB scale ad magnitude, each db is to the power of 10