ST185 JDM Gauge Cluster

Meenya

Hi,

Anyone in Greater Toronto Area has a spare JDM gauge cluster in working condition that I could borrow to isolate my speedometer/odometer issue.
If it solves my issue...I'd be interested to buy it.

Thanks,

Meenya

athousandleaves":3e2wbqs8 said:
Whats the issue?

The speedo and odo is reading too low/slow...with actual speed of a 100 km/h it would show ~ 60 km/h.
And some times it completely stops working at which time the engine light comes on...then as soon as speedo starts moving the engine light would turn off.
I'll test the actual speeds with GPS this weekend. and I'll try to stop while the engine light is on so I can get the code. But I'm pretty sure it's either cluster or speedo gearing at the transmission.

athousandleaves

Running larger rolling diameter wheels than stock will net you a difference on the speedo but not in the neighbourhood of 40km/h... maybe 5km/h slower at best!

Seeing as the JDM speedo is electronic I would begin by inspecting the speed sensor on the transmission, ensure proper connection and that the plastic gear is still attached when you have the unit pulled out.

If you can track down a euro/jdm version of the BGB I believe the test procedure for the electronic speedometer sensor is in there.

Unless you've been mucking with the wiring in the cabin I wouldn't say the cluster is at fault; maybe you could also inspect the fuses for the cluster to see if one has a bit of corrosion on the blades?

ALLensTRAC

This sounds like the same problem I was having with my cluster. There is a thread around here regarding capacitors leaking causing corrosion on the board. If you take the cluster apart and look for corrosion under the capacitor leads it will be obvious. You can get replacements at radio shack and solder them in. Its one of the easiest repairs I've made to my 185 yet lol. I forgot to take pics of mine but I know the thread has great pictures with the correct capacitors to purchase. Good Luck!

Brad_91

My car is doing the EXACT same thing so I will be following this a bit. I had the problem all of last year and just didn't bother with it as I had other things to do with the car haha. This is the year to get it working because it isn't fun driving without a tach/ speedo in any car!

Here is the thread I have started as well:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44248

Brad_91

I have a spare gauge cluster I bought off this forum last year that I haven't tested yet but if I can figure out my car's issues without it I can send it out to you :) I'm from Ottawa ON

Meenya

athousandleaves":1ei6vucw said:
Running larger rolling diameter wheels than stock will net you a difference on the speedo but not in the neighbourhood of 40km/h... maybe 5km/h slower at best!

Seeing as the JDM speedo is electronic I would begin by inspecting the speed sensor on the transmission, ensure proper connection and that the plastic gear is still attached when you have the unit pulled out.

If you can track down a euro/jdm version of the BGB I believe the test procedure for the electronic speedometer sensor is in there.

Unless you've been mucking with the wiring in the cabin I wouldn't say the cluster is at fault; maybe you could also inspect the fuses for the cluster to see if one has a bit of corrosion on the blades?

Interesting enough this is 2nd cluster I'm having issues...the 1st is completely dead the speedo is not moving at all and second one as described above so I believe and hope it's cluster issue. I'll search for that thread about the capacitors and take my other cluster apart and maybe it is the capacitor issue so I can fix it. Thanks guys!

Meenya

So after changing 1 capacitor and 1 resistor (the ones that were in bad shape), my speedo is showing accurate speed but only above 40 km/h. Between 0 and 20 it's not moving at all and 20 to 40 it hesitates. Once the speed is reaching 40 it's very accurate and smooth.

I was wondering if anyone has "Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual" and it would have the schematics for the speedo gauge. I would try to find out if there are any other caps or resistors that need to be changed but are not obvious.

Thanks,

underscore

change out any of the "pop can" caps that you can find, they may not look bad but they can dry out inside, especially after 20 years.

Meenya

underscore":2w46luhl said:
change out any of the "pop can" caps that you can find, they may not look bad but they can dry out inside, especially after 20 years.

If I don't get the schematics, I'll likely do that. Was thinking to do it right instead of guess work ;)

fussellbug

I've looked at wiring diagrams for MR2, 5th and 6th Gen Celicas and none of them show internal components of the speedometer or other meters. You should be able to at least tell which components on the cluster are related to the speedo based on location and tracing the circuit paths. It may also be possible that the meter itself is sticking and needs the higher speed to break it loose.

underscore

Meenya":1fu6eji9 said:
underscore":1fu6eji9 said:

If I don't get the schematics, I'll likely do that. Was thinking to do it right instead of guess work ;)

When it comes to oldass caps, that is doing it right. If you've already got it out to change one cap, you may as well change all of them.

crymson

^^^This.

caps of this era have a known issue that causes them to fail, once one of them fails just do them all