ST185 to ST185RC intercooler swap?

EvilStig

I've gotten my hands on an ST185RC intercooler unit and would like to know part numbers and sources I could use to build the rest of the setup (water pump and radiator, primarily) since the OEM ones are not available. Has anyone else done this conversion and knows what parts fit? thanks!

underscore

You've got the only OEM part required, which is good. I know there are a variety of aftermarket pumps and heat exchangers people have used over the years that are more widely available than OEM, I think some of them are for Mustang Cobras. Do some searching and you should find the info you need.

Celi-GT4

My 205 swap came with everything and eventually I upgraded to a bigger pump and heat exchanger. So just do the research and go that way, it will cost less and perform better

EvilStig

So I've been searching all over the place but I just can't seem to find any information on alternative parts to OEM on the sub radiator and water pump. Can anyone point me to a build thread with part numbers or tell me what parts they're using in their own WTA intercooler build?

819_ay

Just search eBay or even just on Google for WTA heat exchanger, and Bosch water pump... You'd be surprised what Google comes up with...

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

GTSfreak

Im considering keeping the setup when i eventually get an alltrac. but a couple people i've talked to claim they did get lower intake temps with an fmic. so im debating on if you can manage the same intake temps of a fmic if you can manage to run a large enough water heat exchange unit to keep it consistent.

Maram

GTSfreak":2gyglmxy said:
Im considering keeping the setup when i eventually get an alltrac. but a couple people i've talked to claim they did get lower intake temps with an fmic. so im debating on if you can manage the same intake temps of a fmic if you can manage to run a large enough water heat exchange unit to keep it consistent.

Why go for a fmic? They used the w2a intercooler when rallying both the st185 and 205.. If it was good enough for them i guess it is good enough for road use too? 8)

Im using a 205 cooler core, upgraded radiator and bosch waterpump... the intercooler is not hot at all when driving in 25*c.

But its your car and you do what you want to, but if you go for a fmic setup, please do it properly. Many solutions looks like shite imo, the pipes need to be welded together and paintet black/dark grey.

EvilStig

Maram":1jgyma86 said:
GTSfreak":1jgyma86 said:

Why go for a fmic? They used the w2a intercooler when rallying both the st185 and 205.. If it was good enough for them i guess it is good enough for road use too? 8)

Im using a 205 cooler core, upgraded radiator and bosch waterpump... the intercooler is not hot at all when driving in 25*c.

But its your car and you do what you want to, but if you go for a fmic setup, please do it properly. Many solutions looks like shite imo, the pipes need to be welded together and paintet black/dark grey.

I think that's the cooler core I have actually, as I think the 185RC core is silver and the 205 is black?

I got a bosch water pump and 24x8x2.5 heat exchanger on the way now and I'm wondering if I need an overflow/expansion tank of some kind, and if I'll need to fabricate any kind of adapter or mounting bracket to fit the core on top of the engine. Do you have any good pics of your setup? what did you do for it?

EDIT: do you have any fans on yours? and how do you have the water pump (and fans, if you do...) wired up?

awdmofo

EvilStig, you are correct the silver IC is the 185RC one, and the all black one is the 205 core. I have a 205 core that i'm building a whole system soon like Maram did (pump, heat exchanger, lines etc...). By the way Maram, great pics i'm inspired by your color scheme and the RC front Bumper and hood! I have a 90 white all-trac and the RC bumper is coming soon, just need to find a RC hood to make it all complete :D. Evilstig, have you gotten all the parts yet? Where did you get the radiator from?

EvilStig

awdmofo":3f1nes5d said:
EvilStig, you are correct the silver IC is the 185RC one, and the all black one is the 205 core. I have a 205 core that i'm building a whole system soon like Maram did (pump, heat exchanger, lines etc...). By the way Maram, great pics i'm inspired by your color scheme and the RC front Bumper and hood! I have a 90 white all-trac and the RC bumper is coming soon, just need to find a RC hood to make it all complete :D. Evilstig, have you gotten all the parts yet? Where did you get the radiator from?

I bought a generic radiator from CXRacing, I don't know yet how I'm going to mount it up... near as I can tell, getting the factory heat exchanger is impossible.

Maram

EvilStig":2pu3va5u said:
Maram":2pu3va5u said:
GTSfreak":2pu3va5u said:

I think that's the cooler core I have actually, as I think the 185RC core is silver and the 205 is black?

I got a bosch water pump and 24x8x2.5 heat exchanger on the way now and I'm wondering if I need an overflow/expansion tank of some kind, and if I'll need to fabricate any kind of adapter or mounting bracket to fit the core on top of the engine. Do you have any good pics of your setup? what did you do for it?

EDIT: do you have any fans on yours? and how do you have the water pump (and fans, if you do...) wired up?

The core fits almost perfect, i just needed a little bracket on the right side, on the left i fits without any mods (seen from the front of the car).

But to connect the cooler to the intake manifold you will need to make an adapterplate, because the 185 has a 2,5'' intake and the 205 is 3''.

Try these links:

https://imgur.com/a/XNmAj
https://imgur.com/a/wKOFX

EvilStig

Maram":xk8x7vb4 said:
The core fits almost perfect, i just needed a little bracket on the right side, on the left i fits without any mods (seen from the front of the car).

But to connect the cooler to the intake manifold you will need to make an adapterplate, because the 185 has a 2,5'' intake and the 205 is 3''.

Try these links:

Is it just the two bolts holding up your heat exchanger?

what's with the stubby hose segment on the core to the right of the intake hose?

Also where did you get the metal throttle body inlet flange?

Maram

EvilStig":g53uoqi8 said:
Maram":g53uoqi8 said:

Try these links:

Is it just the two bolts holding up your heat exchanger?

what's with the stubby hose segment on the core to the right of the intake hose?

Also where did you get the metal throttle body inlet flange?

Yes, just the two bolts on top and two brackets on the underside of the HE.

Thats for the standard blow off valve that the st205 have, i just blocked it off.

I made the throttle body inlet my self. I know BRD makes them for you if you dont wanna make one yourself. :)