SW20 into ST165 specific questions...

CodingParadox

So it looks like my ST165 engine has a blown HG, so rather than deal with fixing that now, I think I'm just gonna swap in my SW20 3S-GTE. Now, it seems that there's two ways to do this:

1. Swap over sensors from the ST165 engine and use existing ECU/wiring harness/everything.
2. Get an ST185 wiring harness, do chris D's crazyass re-wiring hell to get the hybrid setup working.

The second solution is both cleaner and will yield me more power, but just to get the car working to a reasonable degree (even to close to stock ST165 standards would be amazingly nice right now compared to what I have) is there any reason not to do the first one? Yes, I realize I'd have to pull the engine again to hook up the new wiring harness, but that doesn't really bother me. I'd love nothing more than to get a functional alltrac right now, because right now my alternative is an almost-dead 89 GT.

nosboy

right now i am running an MR2 Ecu on my 165. You will need the ecu pin diagram for the 165 and the sw20. Once you have both you can study the ecu outputs and do a hack. You will need to destroy a 165 ecu, unsolder and remove the connector wher the wiring sockets plug into. You will also need the wiring sockets of the MR2 which plug into the MR2 ecu and solder the wires one byone to the connector which you removed from the 165 ECU. If you put everything in place you will have no problem. You will have to make the waterpump of the intercooler run constantly as the MR2 ecu does not have a signal to trigger the intercooler pump.

CodingParadox

Are you running the actual SW20 engine on that as well? Or just an ST165 engine on the SW20 ecu?.. I shouldn't need to cannibalize anything on the ECU to run the MR2 engine on the MR2 ecu, it's kinda made to plug in, it being made for it at all... The only modding will be on the fusebox plugs and shit, I'd think...

nosboy

It will run with the 165 distributor, igniter, sensors and all if you do the hack correctly. I changed mine though just to make sure...but I was able to run it with the 165 shit. Also the fuse box and wiring in the engine compartment are all of the 165 except I had to change the connectors of the temp, distributor igniter etc. when i put in the MR2 dist, sensors etc.
Basically what you will be making is an ECU adapter for the 165 ecu connectors to fit the MR2 ECU. Its done like this....THA (165) then you find THA(MR2) and solder it on the corresponding position based on the ECU diagram of the 165 and the MR2. If you dont have much experience with wiring and understanding functions of the ECU dont bother trying to do it yourself as you might mess up everything.