Engine working better... Internals cleaning suggestions?

CodingParadox

So after re-doing ignition timing, the engine's working way better. I plan to burn out all the bad gas in the tank tomorrow, and then I want to do a full fluids change and cleaning of internals. There's lots of different products, some of which go in the gas tank, some of which go in with the oil, etc. I have what might be somewhat sticky valves, as well as ticking from the valves, so I'm looking for suggestions for stuff that should help unstick those things and get rid of the ticking.

Anything anyone's used that actually works?

alltracman78

Drive it for 3-4 hrs on the highway. When I take my car home (800m), it runs ALOT better for a little while.
The heat will burn alot of the crap in your engine out.

CodingParadox

Well, that's good to start with, anyway. Planning on doing that tomorrow. I need to make sure my intercooler is working, because I'm not sure it is... Gonna check that out later tonight...

RedCelicaTRD

To stop the ticking you will need a valve adjustment. Those cleaners only stop the ticking on motors with hydrolic lash adjusters, which we dont have. There are two big hose barbs on the back of the intake manifold (one still has a hose on it), diconnect them one at a time and use some extra hose to let them slowly suck in about half a bottle of ATF each. This will help clean out the intake manifold and your cylinders. It makes a shitload of smoke but it really does clean them. I did this with only one of the hose barbs and later had to pull my head and it was nice and clean on that one side. Water injection will also help keep stuff nice and clean.

Stubble

Some guys on the old forum swore by seafoam. I have never used it myself, so I'm not sure if you want heresay advice :|

Plex

I see...

Interesting, never heard of it.. i thought someone was gonna take like.. seawater to their engine or something. I was gonna have to slap a bitch.

InitialD93

yes seafoam is awesome shit... works absolute wonders on fuel system, rusted bolts, anything too stubborn to come off. if u decide to put it in your oil be careful because it will eat so much crap off the inside that it might clog ur oil pump. (ive seen it happen)

u should add it to 1/2 or 3/4 tank of gas... it will billow black smoke out of your tail pipe for a while but it is supposed to do that... that smoke is all the crap its cleaning off ur internals.

SLC Punk

Stubble":22v6k0ly said:
Some guys on the old forum swore by seafoam. I have never used it myself, so I'm not sure if you want heresay advice :|
I have never used Seafoam, but the guys on the 4Runner message boards swear by it. :smokes:

CodingParadox

Well, to be honest, until I started learning more about celica maintainence, I'd never heard of ATF either, and I spent my first 3 years of driving on nothing but automatic trannys. :)

Fat Trac

tried some seafoam today... did alot of driving too. overall result is very positive, i'll just say its much harder to bog. how well does it work over other types of cleaners? only god knows. but i could definately feel a difference.