Anyone ever tried a custom top-mount?

SuperWhite92

As I sit, bending my Stock intercoolers fins back to straight, I wonder if anyone has tried the seemingly difficult. What I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a custom intercooler in place of the stock unit on a 185. Like getting a core that measured 9x11x2.5 and cutting it to be 9x9x2.5. Then getting custom entanks fabbed that would maintain stock mounting?

If this is absurd, type one word into your reply: Booger.

If you think it is possible, type: Hoo-ah

If you think that it's way to late to allow me to post, type: NO MORE.

Thank you, come again!

Gary

ARC make a larger core top mount IC for us.
This one looks like it but I remember someone told me this is a custom made.
TMIC.jpg
[/img]

Griffin

Just FYI - the SPAL fan alone makes a huge difference. The bigger core will give better flow but may cool the same or less when compared to stock.

935motorsports

There exists a spearco and HKS core that would work. The installation would be completely custom.

I priced it out and it would cost roughly $550-600 for a brand name high flow top mount IC after labor and parts.

SuperWhite92

935motorsports":1zj2wqhz said:
The installation would be completely custom.

I priced it out and it would cost roughly $550-600 for a brand name high flow top mount IC after labor and parts.

What all would this include?
Does this have connections that would match up with the stock turbo and Throttle body positions?
Would you be able to do the work?

I really like the sound of this

alltracman78

935motorsports":ddaij7vm said:
There exists a spearco and HKS core that would work. The installation would be completely custom.

I was looking at a spearco, but then I decide to go with a wtaic.
One of those would be a whole lot better than the stock one, plus look better.

Colin T

Gary":2oh885lx said:

Freak'n beautiful. Nice welds and all. Personally, I'd still prefer a FMIC, but we coudl go on and on about that. Nicely done TMIC though, I'm sure a lot of those TMIC enthusiasts would be all for that, could be done for about 300 bucks, don't you think?

SuperWhite92

Here's my thought and reasoning for anyone who cares:
-I like top mounts for no particular reason
-I like front mounts, but kits are way pricey
-I like WTA intercoolers, but I hate having to drain the coolant and get stuff all gooey everytime I wanna change the plugs
-I don't like how small the veins are on the stock intercooler
-I like shiny new stuff
-I like not having all the extra noise from a fan underneath my hood

While I'm sure I could overcome the last one, I think a custom Top-mount will go on my to do/to buy list. Right after some sort of susp. Setup

To do/To buy
-Finish Swap
-Get BOV
-Make more money
-Buy Exhaust
-Buy susp. setup
-Buy Custom Intercool from Rob.
-Try to scrape together remnants of a long forgotten life.

CMS-GT4

I think a tmic would be a great upgrade as long as you are planning to stay with the ct26. For those interested, I think that one should look into the CF hoods as well. I have seen them with a wider scoop, so you could have a wider IC. This combined with a thin fan, and WI would make a great autox car, or would keep great response for those who don't want monster power.

Zeus

i totally agree... if you want more performance but want to stick with a top mount your kind of limited... you could add water injection and water spray or c02 spray to carry you a bit further... but your just limited.. the core can only be so big and can only transfer so much heat... espescially when its combating heat from the engine bay...

however i also HATE the stock deisgn... the rows are too thin... its based on an old crappy design.. i really like the arc deisgn if that is what that is (the picture has been around for years)

i had planned on making these for a while but gave up as it would be no use to me...

however i think it would be a very worthwhile upgrade... and like coldiron mentioned.. would make for a great autox car... keep the short path for great throttle response

CMS-GT4

Spearco does. Chris O had one at some point. I used to have his old radiator he used, sold it when I sold my 205 core. I think he had it where the batery goes, making a short path, and helping reduce the heat soak. As for balance I think there is better options. To make this car a good track car, weight must be taken from the from rather then added. Also another nice feature for a tmic. They are lighter then a fmic, and wtaic.