HKS cams

alltrac4life

Which cams are the best? The 256, 264, or 272 duration? I will drive on the street a lot so i dont think i should get the 272 but i was wondering if anyone here has them and uses them on the street. If they arnt good on the street then i will go with the 264's. Just need a little info.

AWDios

I havn't done the mod myself but it seems like for the most part if you're still going to daily drive the 272's are overkill, and the 256's aren't enough. I'm planning on the 264's myself.

alltrac4life

Ive decided that myself. Anyone know how much power they normally add. I know it depends on the supporting mods but i was just wondering if anyone has any figures.

alltrac4life

Griffin":2xmmeeuu said:
No Idea on the power, but I am very satisfied with the 264s on my car from a driveability standpoint.
Hows the sound from the exaust? can you hear the difference? is it like a rough idle sound?

Griffin

alltrac4life":v1t8jeg8 said:
Griffin":v1t8jeg8 said:
No Idea on the power, but I am very satisfied with the 264s on my car from a driveability standpoint.
Hows the sound from the exaust? can you hear the difference? is it like a rough idle sound?

It didn't really make much difference but they haven't been degreed yet and I have the full 3" with no cat and the HKS hiper exhaust so its loud as hell at idle anyways. I imagine once I degree it the idle will get a bit funky.

Zeus

272's make the most noticable difference in sound... i am almost considering them for this reason alone hahaha

the common thought is that the higher duration the cam the more it shifts the power band to the upper rpms... ive heard otherwise from repected tuners.. that if you degree them properly you shouldnt lose any low end...

honestly i dont know what to believe

however i think your peak power is affected a lot... and where it kicks in

272's are going to be 8500rpm plus... so if you got the bucks and want to build the motor to suit that sort of rpm your left with little else as far as options go... i think 264's make a great street compromise... where 256's would be for the more mild set up... ie making the most out of a ct26 or something...

allblackalltrac

I'd agree with Zeus about the 256's being the best match for the ct26/ct20b however for the same amount of gain you would get from them you could dial in some 2G 3SGE or 3G 3SGTE cams for alot cheaper...

Again I would have to agree with the 264 being the best compromise between performance and streetability on a motor that has all the bolt ons...

If you are in need of 272's then chances are your car is not very street friendly given that you would need an offaly big turbo to sustain such cams...I have heard of some people actually stagering their cams 264/272...

Keep in mind that HKS is not the only manufacture of aftermarket cams for the 3SGTE nor are 272's the biggest you could get...

Zeus

BIG GUCH":3c8q31jl said:
I'd agree with Zeus about the 256's being the best match for the ct26/ct20b however for the same amount of gain you would get from them you could dial in some 2G 3SGE or 3G 3SGTE cams for alot cheaper...

ide be curious to see a comparion between the two... as far as duration lift and overlap goes...

if i recall 256's are actually more expensive than 264's so i could understand wanting to go the cheaper route of na cams... but i have yet to see hard evidence of how much power they produce over the stockers... and its not like changing cams is as easy as replaceing your air filter... thats a lot of work to go through to have cams that might not be the best design for your motor...

they may have more lift and more duration... but if they have to much overlap its kind of wasted... and na cars always have overlap... which means youd just be losing all the prescious boost...

for reference i think the stock cams are 236 duration 8.2mm lift

allblackalltrac

ct26/ct20b - swap only the intake cam and leave the exhaust cam alone.

As soon as I dyno my motor I'm going to swap out the intake cam for a 2G 3SGE (all ready got it) intake cam and re-dyno. Then Im going to swap out that intake cam for a 3G 3SGE/GTE intake cam and re-dyno.

Keep in mind that the only way to properlly dial in cams is to use adjustable cam gears and have them dialed in on a dyno. I'll probablly play around with the exhaust cam a little bit adv/retard +/- to see if I get any gains.

My only concern is if I need to convert to shim under bucket lifters for the 3G cams?