sparkplugs

Gary

PK20R8 = BKR6E
20 is the heat range, higher is colder for Denso.
Question: Isn't the NGK is easier to find?

Brui

Gary":2x0osdao said:
PK20R8 = BKR6E
20 is the heat range, higher is colder for Denso.
Question: Isn't the NGK is easier to find?
I got a set of NGK 6097 but I've heard from the performance shop that NGK copper V-power don't last long you have to change them so often compare to Denso that last longer even just regular line, they are almost as cheap as NGK. It has something to do with the electrode design, I want to try them to see the difference

Gary

I see your point.
Copper is still copper, it won't last long like iridium or platinum.
Many of us change them out when they change the oil.
It's a good check up too.
try it and let us know.

Fat Trac

yeah the copper ones are suggested replacement 5k miles. a friend of mine put some denso ik20s in his camry (not really sure why...) on the sales receit it said don't gap, you'll snap the center electrode. does that mean that all the denso plugs come pregapped for our cars? anyone know?

gearhead313

ive built a lil 300hp honda on NGK iridiums and its over 10k miles now. I've seen the Denso Iridiums fall apart before....and at their price, i wont run them again.

illGT4

gearhead313":1pcr6vub said:
ive built a lil 300hp honda on NGK iridiums and its over 10k miles now. I've seen the Denso Iridiums fall apart before....and at their price, i wont run them again.

Do you happen to have a dyno of your honda? I'm interested to see the torque figures and power curve.

Thanks

SLC Punk

Gary":kbrfn8l1 said:
I see your point.
try it and let us know.

:shock: You guys really change your spark plugs out every 3-5K miles!?!?

I have gone 10k on my spark plugs, maybe its time for a new set! :shrug:

gearhead313

illGT4":3go48if9 said:
gearhead313":3go48if9 said:

Do you happen to have a dyno of your honda? I'm interested to see the torque figures and power curve.

Thanks

it was 5-6 months ago and he came from toledo....i might still have his information...

935motorsports

5K is the suggested replacement time for NGK coppers.

Most people change them at 3k, or even easier to remember, at each oil change. You should do this if you abuse your car at all.

Not that you couldn't use them for 10k, it's just that the tip will start to wear away and lose efficiency.

Gary

SLC Punk":3t2nj2yh said:
Gary":3t2nj2yh said:
I see your point.
try it and let us know.

Well, it will take 2 years for my car to reach 10k miles.
Normally, I change plugs twice a year (around 2500 miles) and oil 3-4 times a year, not because of the mileage, but because of the temperature/season.

SLC Punk

Gary":3ad9u7u8 said:
SLC Punk":3ad9u7u8 said:
Gary":3ad9u7u8 said:
I see your point.
try it and let us know.

Well, it will take 2 years for my car to reach 10k miles.
Normally, I change plugs twice a year (around 2500 miles) and oil 3-4 times a year, not because of the mileage, but because of the temperature/season.

I have had my car for 17 months and just barely put on 10K miles. Thanks for the tip guys, I thought that they lasted longer than that! :doh:

zblu81

it's just the copper plugs that need to be changed often, the platinum plugs should be changed ~60k right?

SLC Punk

Good point^^^

Which brings me to my next question. What is the stock Toyota plug, Copper or Platinum? If I recall correctly, aren't they copper? :shrug:

InitialD93

splitfire tripple platinums for me, had em in for 10k miles... do need to change the wires and plugs though... but ill check my plugs before changing them. My wires have 1996 printed on them... im thinking this is a bad sign :p :doh:

Gary

For reference
Stock plugs: Denso PK20R8 or NGK BKR6EP8
Recommended gap: 0.8mm (.031 inch)
Plug wrench: 16mm
Torque: 18 N.m (13 ft.lbs)

Griffin

Just to pop in with an alternate viewpoint - I'm running Denso irridium IK27s now (had IK24s in it before) and they are great plugs and last a hell of a lot londer than coppers.

As for changing the oil- I'm at like 3000 miles and I have 4 oil changes under my belt ;) I beat the car hard and I regard fresh oil as cheap insirance. I literally check my oil every day that I run my car.

illGT4

Griffin":1roylysb said:
Just to pop in with an alternate viewpoint - I'm running Denso irridium IK27s now (had IK24s in it before) and they are great plugs and last a hell of a lot londer than coppers.

As for changing the oil- I'm at like 3000 miles and I have 4 oil changes under my belt ;) I beat the car hard and I regard fresh oil as cheap insirance. I literally check my oil every day that I run my car.

I envy you... really keeps the problems away.

I wish I was more inclined to check my oil.. that's 2 engines now that have bit the big one... third times a charm , right?