For reference
Stock plugs: Denso PK20R8 or NGK BKR6EP8
Recommended gap: 0.8mm (.031 inch)
Plug wrench: 16mm
Torque: 18 N.m (13 ft.lbs)
Thanks Gary.

So I have a dumb question, why are you guys running coppers? :shrug:

zblu81

I remember a thread on the old board about iridiums breaking apart... has anyone here had that problem?

Indy3sgte

anything wrong with using the iridium NGK's?? I see them on ebay all the time and I was just wondering if they are a good buy?

Dan

illGT4

Indy3sgte":67mzccs2 said:
anything wrong with using the iridium NGK's?? I see them on ebay all the time and I was just wondering if they are a good buy?

Dan

I run them in my 4a-ge MR2. Like them a lot.

For the 3S I was just running copper, but may try the NGK IX Ir.

alltrac4life

Its not that copper plugs spark better, its that with higher boost platnum plugs get hot and they get so hot that they cause precombustion. So with higher boost, we run coppers cause they dont do that, but you have to change them every time you change your oil. On a stock car platnums are a good choice cause they last way longer.

illGT4

alltrac4life":26nb3pie said:
Its not that copper plugs spark better, its that with higher boost platnum plugs get hot and they get so hot that they cause precombustion. So with higher boost, we run coppers cause they dont do that, but you have to change them every time you change your oil. On a stock car platnums are a good choice cause they last way longer.

copper is a better spark.

alltracman78

alltrac4life":22fbozdm said:
you have to change them every time you change your oil.

Why do you have to change them every time you change your oil? Mine have almost 10000m on them, and are fine. [NGK BKR6E]

alltrac4life

alltracman78":3e4x30y2 said:
alltrac4life":3e4x30y2 said:

Why do you have to change them every time you change your oil? Mine have almost 10000m on them, and are fine. [NGK BKR6E]
Ouch, im sure if you changed them the car would run and idle better.

shoteh

alltracman78":28fzjwin said:
alltrac4life":28fzjwin said:

is yours iridiums or copper? only copper are supposed to be changed every oil change right?

AWDios

I don't think you should NEED to change them every oil change, that seems a bit over kill to me, I thought the general idea on coppers was about every 3rd or 4th change.

illGT4

you don't need to change them every time you change your oil.

I used to change mine like every other time. For the hell of it.

alltracman78

AWDios":6ijh7i7a said:
I don't think you should NEED to change them every oil change, that seems a bit over kill to me, I thought the general idea on coppers was about every 3rd or 4th change.

That's alot more like it, tho it might be as long as 30000m. I havn't run coppers before this, always platinum, but now I'm sold on the coppers, so we'll see how long they last. Definitly more than one [4000m] oil change.

Doge

Its not that they wont last... its that they lose efficiency alot faster than other metals. They are under $2 a plug... we're not talking big dollars here for a guarenteed strong (and cold) spark that will wear out alittle sooner than the others.