exhaust bottleneck debate

Darth Boost

busdriver":3ccs14vi said:
Do they even make a "3 inch" downpipe for the subaru? Or is the 4" by 2.5" that tapers to 3" what they get to buy?

I'm not sure. I don't own one, so I don't really know what's available for 'em.

Do they make one for them like the Aussie DP for ours?

You mean, "Do they make a downpipe for them that has the worst wastegate outlet/ turbine outlet merge possible?" Again, I don't know. But I can tell you this- the Aussie DP leaves a LOT to be desired in the way that collector is designed.

Griffin

Darth Boost":2ggmj07i said:
2. Someone mentioned exhaust gas cooling and becoming less dense. Uh, you sure about that? So hot gas is more dense than cool gas? Air is a gas. So by your reasoning, a hot air intake is a swell idea, because it's ingesting nice, hot, dense air, right? Might wanna rethink that one, bucko...

Hmmm - this is my new favorite person. :wink:

Reduction was a typo and the point of my post was obvious. I post on here when I get a few minutes here and there at work or at home and I appologize, but because I am not getting paid to post I don't necessarily have the luxury of taking the time to proofread, spellcheck and re-edit all my posts. I appologize for the inconvenience that may have caused.

That being said, if the gas was expanding or increasing in density when cooling (which of course violates Boyle's law) then a reduction in pipe diameter would obviously NOT be ok for continued flow at the same pressure. Everyone besides you understood exactly what I was saying, however you were apparently unable to extrapolate that information from the context of my post. So who is the moron - the 99% of the people who understood the obvious - or you - the small minded individual that didn't?

On another subject, standard industry terminology refers to exhaust pipes by diameter. If the pipe is not round the appropriate method to calculate the stated or advertized size is to still find the inside circumference of the pipe and calculate for size as though it was in fact a circle. The reason for this is obvious in that as long as the crosssection of pipe has the same area it pretty much flows the same amount of gas. Your argument is that the WRX has what is referred to as a 4" downpipe by the seller or the Subaru community, but that its actually an oval and the 4" section is the wider section of the oval. If is the case then you can not accurately use the terminology 4". I think most people here (like myself) don't really care about the Subaru community enough to familiarize ourselves with their little nuances. So if people come here and use incorrect terminology which gives the impression that someone is doing somethign silly, I think its appropriate to expect folks to be skeptical about the value of their actions.

I think its pretty clear that despite your efforts to correct and ridicule the world at large you simply succed in proving yourself a misguided and childish person.

tim

But I can tell you this- the Aussie DP leaves a LOT to be desired in the way that collector is designed.

1. Find me the space. I have yet to see any downpipe - aside from one-offs - for the CT26 or CT20b that runs a divorced wastegate setup. Space is very limited in the real estate around the turbo.

2. Help me make economic sense of it. People already flinch at the price of most DPs on the market ("you want me to pay HOW MUCH for a 2 foot long piece of metal?!"). The extra fab time=extra costs to the consumer (which they have no interest in paying).

3. Most importantly, find me the need. Cars equipped with Aussie DPs have started hitting the 280-300hp mark with startling regularity. Given that 300hp is pretty much the upper limits of the CT26 and CT20, I'm not sure what I'm going to gain through all the extra work. I don't see turbulent exhaust flow costing me a whole lot of HP here.

My $.02

Tim
Aussie Exhaust - USA

Darth Boost

Griffin":34g92vd1 said:
So who is the moron - the 99% of the people who understood the obvious - or you - the small minded individual that didn't?

I think its pretty clear that despite your efforts to correct and ridicule the world at large you simply succed in proving yourself a misguided and childish person.

The fact that you make it personal, as I've outlined above, prevents me from further discussion with you. It's a shame, because I would have rather enjoyed a technical debate. But since you stoop to this childish level you reference, I feel quite compelled to stop posting in this thread and distance myself from any association with you at all. Please don't reply to me in the future, and I'll do the same. That is, unless you feel the need to continue being... "childish."

Tim- I agree with all your points. I'm not saying Aussie is crap. I think TIG welds would be nice, if nothing more than for the estetics (sic), but what do I know, huh? All I was saying was that the collector is far from optimal.

gearhead313

...i can't believe no one has mentioned turbulance in the exhaust. a 2" exhaust opening next to the wastegate flapper all dumping into a massive 4" pipe..... :crazy:

MrWOT

gearhead313":158rcnug said:
...i can't believe no one has mentioned turbulance in the exhaust. a 2" exhaust opening next to the wastegate flapper all dumping into a massive 4" pipe..... :crazy:

Funny, I was thinking I couldn't believe noone named the real reason the 4" downpipe would be bad. The answer is volume. When you increase volume in a given area, potential flow may increase, BUT, as gases expand they lose velocity, the 4" dp may give a tiny increase in top end if any, but the loss of velocity will be more harmful then any increase because after it expands and slows down, he's then trying to cram it back into the 3" pipe with lower energy available (since the gas cools as it expands), expansion is a free action except in regards to velocity, however compression costs energy in this case, so he's losing on 2 ends, loss of velocity and recompression. If he went for a full 4" system back, meh, but pretty useless for the kind of gain over 3" you would see on a streetable system, since he would only flow that much around 9k+ rpm :wink:

I've said my bit, and I'm off to bed.

furpo

i have often woundered what the point of having an exhaust bigger than the turbine outlet side would be? obviously the section would need to be made a little bigger where the wastegate goes in.

this link has a picture of the ct26 and the size of the outlet. http://www.mjmturbos.com/CT26OEMvsUPDRADE.Htm

so from that about 2 1/2 inches would be about right.

Griffin

Darth Boost":311n141x said:
The fact that you make it personal, as I've outlined above, prevents me from further discussion with you. It's a shame, because I would have rather enjoyed a technical debate. But since you stoop to this childish level you reference, I feel quite compelled to stop posting in this thread and distance myself from any association with you at all. Please don't reply to me in the future, and I'll do the same.

:cry: I'm crushed...

right.... so anyways - you saying "So hot gas is more dense than cool gas? Air is a gas. So by your reasoning, a hot air intake is a swell idea, because it's ingesting nice, hot, dense air, right? Might wanna rethink that one, bucko..." and "Typos do happen, but an inaccuracy in a technical discussion isn't a typo." in response to an obvious typo is Ok and perfectly acceptable - but me taking exception to the aforementioned smart-assedness is overreactionary? Thats hardly fair. No offense bro - but if you're going to dish it out you best be prepared to take some in return.

gearhead313

MrWOT":c9sh3a4p said:
gearhead313":c9sh3a4p said:

Funny, I was thinking I couldn't believe noone named the real reason the 4" downpipe would be bad. The answer is volume. When you increase volume in a given area, potential flow may increase, BUT, as gases expand they lose velocity, the 4" dp may give a tiny increase in top end if any, but the loss of velocity will be more harmful then any increase because after it expands and slows down, he's then trying to cram it back into the 3" pipe with lower energy available (since the gas cools as it expands), expansion is a free action except in regards to velocity, however compression costs energy in this case, so he's losing on 2 ends, loss of velocity and recompression. If he went for a full 4" system back, meh, but pretty useless for the kind of gain over 3" you would see on a streetable system, since he would only flow that much around 9k+ rpm :wink:

I've said my bit, and I'm off to bed.

of the very little i know about thermodynamics, this is excellently said.

I think another point is dumping the wastegate right next to the turbo outlet. I think if you kept the same size piping and simply separated the 2, ran a 1.5" wastegate pipe a foot down, it would improve flow more than the stupid 4" piece.

toayoztan

My WRX friend said something about the 4" dp being a bell curve (bell housing) that goes into a 3" flange for the rest of the exhaust system. He said this improves airflow to make the air flow alot smoother...and he said the dp was good at 400hp (proven)...well, whatever. I was just trying to tell him that it was a bottleneck lol.

Bryan

alltracman78

TECHNICALLY, the 4" dp (if it's actually 4") wouldn't be the bottleneck. It would be the rest of the 3" exhaust, assuming it is hurting flow.
A few months back in SCC there was a street legal Supra with a full interior, and he was running 9.5 in the quarter mile. He had a 5" dp, and 3 1/2 or 4" exhaust. Maybe he could've been even faster with a smaller dp :shrug:

And Bryan, you never know what you'll start when you ask a question.
That's part of the fun of this place. :D